List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Tim Thorburn Date:October 25 2012 6:37am
Subject:MySQL password issue
View as plain text
Hi All,

Today I ran into an interesting problem with my MySQL installation.
I'll start off with the usual suspects: this is my development laptop
running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit this is a fresh install, fully updated
from Windows Update.  I downloaded the Windows Installer version of
MySQL which is MySQL 5.5.28 Community Server.  I ran the setup choosing
Developer install, made a root password, then created two users for
Backup and Replication.

The install completed successfully, and I was able to start MySQL
Workbench logging in as root once.  I made a user in Server
Administration and then imported a .sql backup file.  I then went to SQL
Development to review the result of the restore.  I wasn't able to view
the imported tables, Workbench seemed stuck on Retrieving Tables.  This
database is driving a website I'm working on, and I was able to load the
site in a browser on my laptop - again once.

Next, I went to add another user, and then tried to import another .sql
backup file.  This time, when I clicked Start Import, Workbench prompted
me to enter my root password again.  Odd I thought, as I'd originally
told Workbench to save the password in its vault.  Unfortunately,
Workbench won't accept the root password.  I receive the following
message in a popup window:

Cannot Connect to Database Server
Your connection attempt failed for user 'root' from your host to server
at localhost:3306:
Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

The MySQL Service is still running, I've tried stopping, starting, and
just restarting the service.  I've tried rebooting.  All with the same
result.  What could have happened to this install to make MySQL no
longer accept my password?  I have already tried uninstalling via the
MySQL Installer, confirming that C:\ProgramData\MySQL was removed, and
then shutting Windows down completely before trying to re-install.  The
same result happens - I'm able to log in once, then several minutes
later it will no longer accept a password.  This is a fresh install
again, so there's not a lot of pain in uninstalling and reinstalling.

Any thoughts on why this is happening, or more importantly, how to
correct the problem?

TIA,
-Tim

Thread
MySQL password issueTim Thorburn25 Oct
  • RE: MySQL password issueNitin Mehta25 Oct
    • Re: MySQL password issueTim Thorburn25 Oct