List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rick James Date:October 19 2012 6:42pm
Subject:RE: Schemas for storing and reporting on hashtags
View as plain text
Many-to-many?  That is, can a comment have many different hashtags?  And a hashtag can be
associated with many comments?

Best practice for many-to-many:
CREATE TABLE xyz (
hashtag VARCHAR(...) NOT NULL,
comment_id ... NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (hashtag, comment_id),
INDEX(comment_id, hashtag)
) ENGINE = InnoDB;

One might want to "normalize" the hashtags, but it does not seem warranted in this
situation.