List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:October 4 2012 9:12pm
Subject:Re: user last activity and log in
View as plain text
----- Original Message -----
> From: "Reindl Harald" reindl@stripped>
>
> it does not matter what kind of users

I'm happy for you that you still have all the answers anyone could ever want, Harald.
Regardless of having any background knowledge on the circumstance of the question, even.
You truly are a gifted individual.

> using the "general query log" can only be a bad joke
> you will log EVERY query and not only log-ins

Yes, which is why I specified explicitly that it is very much discouraged for production
use.

However, it can be useful at times. I recently turned it on to investigate sudden,
unpredictable and above all annoyingly brief peaks in the number of connections, and I
needed to know what APPLICATION INSTANCE was responsible, not which particular user - as
well as have a good view of what the offending sessions did. A tcpdump would have been an
option, but given that wireshark still isn't too good at decoding MySQL traffic I still
opted for the full query log. There was some more tomfoolery involved, but after almost a
week of logging we successfully identified the culprit.

Now you may do things differently, and you may also reach a satisfactory solution; but I
am absolutely sick and tired of hearing how your way is the only valid way, casually
implying that the rest of the world are all bloody idiots that should just shut up and
listen while you tell them every ridiculous way in which they are wrong and inferior.

PLEASE, for your own sake - not to mention the nerves of the people around you - learn to
accept that there are a lot of different ways to do things, and that sometimes people
pick their optimal solution on quite different criteria than the ones you use. That does
not necessarily make them wrong, merely different from you. As the Perl mantra goes,
There's More Than One Way To Do It.

/Johan

--
Linux Bier Wanderung 2012, now also available in Belgium!
August, 12 to 19, Diksmuide, Belgium - http://lbw2012.tuxera.be
        • Re: user last activity and log inReindl Harald4 Oct
          • Re: user last activity and log inJohan De Meersman4 Oct
            • Re: user last activity and log inReindl Harald4 Oct
    • Re: user last activity and log inClaudio Nanni4 Oct
      • RE: user last activity and log inRick James4 Oct
        • Re: user last activity and log inReindl Harald4 Oct
          • Re: user last activity and log inKeith Murphy5 Oct
            • Re: user last activity and log inKeith Murphy5 Oct
            • Re: user last activity and log inSinger Wang5 Oct
              • Re: user last activity and log inSinger Wang5 Oct
              • Re: user last activity and log inJohan De Meersman5 Oct