List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:hsv Date:October 2 2012 2:25am
Subject:Re: Need Help Converting Character Sets
View as plain text
The data for this table comes from a web page (charet utf8). I copy/paste word files into
gedit (on linux) and then copy/paste from gedit to a text boxes on the web page input
form. I had thought I was stripping out all the funky characters by using a simple ascii
editor like gedit, but obviously not.

After looking at the mysqldump for the table in a hex editor, I discovered I have these
characters scatter throughout the body and intro columns:
“
”
’
—
…
↩
<<<<<<<<
How do you mean this? Is there an instance of Unicode character
LEFT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK, or else of the string "&#8220;"?

In any case, this sounds like not an SQL, but general-programming problem; furthermore, I
suggest that you carefully select a left double quotation mark or any of the other
punctuation characters (RIGHT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK, RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK, EM
DASH, HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS, ...) that, it seems, you are getting and not liking, and
carefully follow your procedure.

It further seems to me that you really do not want that to be UTF-8 string, but ASCII, or
Latin1.

Thread
Need Help Converting Character SetsMark Phillips24 Sep
  • RE: Need Help Converting Character SetsRick James24 Sep
    • Re: Need Help Converting Character SetsDerek Downey28 Sep
  • Re: Need Help Converting Character Setshsv28 Sep
    • RE: Need Help Converting Character SetsRick James28 Sep
      • Re: Need Help Converting Character SetsMark Phillips30 Sep
        • RE: Need Help Converting Character SetsRick James1 Oct
        • Re: Need Help Converting Character Setshsv2 Oct