List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:September 22 2012 10:20am
Subject:Re: InnoDB vs. other storage engines
View as plain text
Hi!

Manuel> 2012/9/19 Mark Haney <markh@stripped>
>> I hope this doesn't end in some kind of flame war.  I'm looking to
>> optimize my tables (and performance in general) of the DB my web app is
>> using.  I'm tweaking things a little at a time, but I'm curious as to what
>> the rest of the MySQL list thinks about changing my storage engine from
>> InnoDB to something else so I can optimize the tables on a regular basis.
>>
>> Is it worth the effort?  Any caveats?

Manuel> Hi Mark,

Manuel> I would depend on what your workload would be. Mostly writes, mostly reads,
Manuel> how many writes/reads do you expect etc.
Manuel> The best approach, from my point of view, would be, firstly, tune your
Manuel> MySQL server (if you've not done it yet) before getting into engine/tables
Manuel> optimizations which can be more complicated.

InnoDB is a great engine, but not suitable for everything.
Depending on your usage, moving some tables to another engine may
help.

Here is some suggestions (in no particular order):

- If you want to have small footprint but don't need commit, foreign
  keys or explicite rollback then ARIA is an option.
  http://kb.askmonty.org/en/aria-formerly-known-as-maria/
- Duplicating some data in the MEMORY engine may also be beneficially.
- If your problem is a lot of write, then you should take a look at
  Tokutek. It's an engine that is optimized for a lot of inserts.
  http://www.tokutek.com/products/tokudb-for-mysql/
- If you want to utilize a lot of computers to analyze BIG data then
  ScaleDB (http://www.scaledb.com) or InfiniDB (http://infinidb.org/)
  may be an option.

Good luck and please post/blog about your experiences!

Regards,
Monty
Creator of MySQL and MariaDB
Thread
InnoDB vs. other storage enginesMark Haney19 Sep
  • Re: InnoDB vs. other storage enginesManuel Arostegui19 Sep
    • RE: InnoDB vs. other storage enginesRick James19 Sep
      • RE: InnoDB vs. other storage engineshsv20 Sep
    • Re: InnoDB vs. other storage enginesMichael Widenius22 Sep