List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rick James Date:September 5 2012 9:40pm
Subject:RE: Understanding Slow Query Log
View as plain text
Remember where you "left off".

Your "Next" button now says something like ?page=5&size=50
When you get there, you are doing something like SELECT ... ORDER BY ... LIMIT 250, 50

Instead...
Make it say ?after_id=12345&size=50
and then do SELECT ... WHERE id > 12345 ORDER BY ... LIMIT 51

With 51, you get 3 things:
* the 50 items (or fewer) for the page
* a clue that there will be a "Next" page
* the id of the first item for that Next page

'Exercises for the reader':
* 'Prev'
* each of the next 5
* each of the previous 5
* go to last page
* go to first page
* Knowing whether to have those links or 'gray them out'.

A sample UI layout (you've probably seen web pages like this):
   GoTo Page [1] ... [13] [14] 15 [16] [17] ... [last]
Where
* [] represents a link.
* You are currently (for this example) on page 15
* It is showing you only the Next/Prev 2 pages.

I have encountered multiple cases where a "crawler" (eg, search engine) brought a site to
its knees because of "pagination via OFFSET".

"Pagination via OFFSET" is Order(N) to fetch a page; Order(N*N) to scan the entire list.
The first page takes 1 unit of effort. The second takes 2; etc.  By the time the entire
list has been paged through, about N*N/2 units of work have been done.

My technique is Order(1) for a page, Order(N) for a complete scan.

N is the number of pages.  Some implementations have more than 10,000 pages.  10,000 *
10,000 = 100 million !

Understanding Slow Query LogAdarsh Sharma1 Sep
  • Re: Understanding Slow Query Logyoku ts1 Sep
  • Re: Understanding Slow Query LogSuresh Kuna1 Sep
    • RE: Understanding Slow Query LogRick James4 Sep
      • Re: Understanding Slow Query LogAdarsh Sharma5 Sep
        • Re: Understanding Slow Query LogManuel Arostegui5 Sep
          • Re: Understanding Slow Query LogAdarsh Sharma5 Sep
Re: Understanding Slow Query LogAdarsh Sharma5 Sep
  • RE: Understanding Slow Query LogRick James5 Sep
    • Re: Understanding Slow Query LogAndy Wallace5 Sep