List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Shawn Green Date:August 28 2012 7:01pm
Subject:Re: MySQL, UTF8 and collations
View as plain text
On 8/28/2012 4:49 AM, Johan De Meersman wrote:
> Guess I'll be fixing it manually (well, sed is my friend) in a mysqldump before
> syncing up the second node after it's been upgraded.

There is another method you can use that doesn't require
dump+sed+restore.  Convert the column from it's current type to BINARY
then back to the correct character set. This technique is described in
the old 4.1 manual when we first introduced character sets. Back then,
everyone was putting all sorts of data into latin1 fields and converting
it back on the client.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/charset-conversion.html

The example uses BLOB but BINARY will also work.

--
Shawn Green
Office: Blountville, TN

Thread
MySQL, UTF8 and collationsJohan De Meersman27 Aug
  • RE: MySQL, UTF8 and collationsRick James27 Aug
    • Re: MySQL, UTF8 and collationsJohan De Meersman28 Aug
      • RE: MySQL, UTF8 and collationsRick James28 Aug
      • Re: MySQL, UTF8 and collationsShawn Green28 Aug