List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:rich gray Date:August 26 2012 9:16pm
Subject:Having trouble with SQL query
View as plain text
I have a MySQL database with a menu table and a product table linked to
the menus *(each product can be linked to more than menu row)* and the
menus are nested.

The query is that when a user clicks on a menu entry then all products
linked to that entry *(there may be none)* will get displayed as well as
all products linked to child menus... below are describe tables for the
2 main tables in question (there is a 3rd table that holds product
descriptions which I won't show as I don't think it is relevant)

CREATE TABLE `menu` (
  `menuid` int(11) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
`parent_menuid` int(11) unsigned NOT NULL,
  `name` varchar(255) NOT NULL,
   PRIMARY KEY (`menuid`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM AUTO_INCREMENT=225 DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8

CREATE TABLE `menu_product` (
  `menuid` int(11) unsigned NOT NULL,
  `productid` int(11) unsigned NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (`menuid`,`productid`),
  KEY `prodidx` (`productid`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8

Anyway for the sake of this question lets say there is only 2 levels of
nesting so a parent menu can only have children so no grandkids+ this is
the query I came up with:-

SELECT DISTINCT
             p.productid,
             pd.name
FROM menu_product as p
INNER JOIN menu as m ON (m.menuid = p.menuid)
INNER JOIN product_description as pd ON (pd.productid = p.productid)
LEFT JOIN menu as m2 ON (m2.parent_menuid = m.menuid) # User selected
menu may itself be a child menu...
WHERE (m.name = '<name obtained from user's click>' OR p.productid IN
(SELECT p2.productid from menu_product AS p2 WHERE p2.menuid = m2.menuid)

Anyway the above query returns many many entries from menus that are
totally unrelated... I have been staring too hard at this for too long -
I am sure it will be a forehead slapper!

I hope I have explained this sufficiently and I TYIA for any guidance

Rich

Thread
Having trouble with SQL queryrich gray26 Aug
  • Re: Having trouble with SQL queryNitin Mehta27 Aug
    • Re: Having trouble with SQL queryrich gray27 Aug
      • Re: Having trouble with SQL queryShawn Green27 Aug