List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:brian Date:July 17 2012 6:50pm
Subject:Re: alternative to slow query
View as plain text
On 12-07-16 06:57 PM, Rick James wrote:

> Plan A:
> Would the anti-UNION problem be solved by hiding the UNION in a subquery?  The outer
> query would simply return what the UNION found.

Of course! Yes, problem solved.

> Plan B:
> Insert every row twice into expression_expression -- (e1,e2) and also (e2,e1).
> Then, you need only one index into that table, and you don't need to UNION (or the
> LEFT JOINs).

This is the approach that I was considering for when the app is
rewritten. (I've inherited a disaster.)

Thank again for the tip.
Thread
alternative to slow querybrian3 Jul
  • Re: alternative to slow queryyoku ts3 Jul
    • Re: alternative to slow querybrian3 Jul
      • RE: alternative to slow queryBenjamin Stillman3 Jul
        • Re: alternative to slow querybrian3 Jul
          • RE: alternative to slow queryBenjamin Stillman3 Jul
            • Re: alternative to slow querybrian3 Jul
              • RE: alternative to slow queryRick James16 Jul
                • Re: alternative to slow querybrian17 Jul