List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Walter Tross Date:June 15 2012 10:34pm
Subject:Re: Foreign key and uppercase / lowercase values
View as plain text
At 16.40 15/06/2012 -0400, Shawn Green wrote:
>On 6/15/2012 3:19 PM, Rick James wrote:
>>Those refer _only_ to German 'ß' LATIN SMALL LETTER SHARP S.  The example GF
> gave did not involve that character.
>>
>>To my knowledge, that is the only case where MySQL changed a collation after
> releasing it.
>
>Yes, it has been the only occurrence. However, the esset (sharp S) is just one example
> of the alternative spelling letters that were affected by the collation change. Thorn, the
> AE ligand, and many others fall into that same category.

ß = Eszett (which in German is the spelling of SZ, although it originated as a
double S ligature (U+017F + s) - SZ comes from its "sharp" pronunciation).
The absence of an uppercase equivalent and its ligature behavior more evident than for
other ligatures (although this has changed with the 1996 reform of German writing) have
caused more than a headache to people dealing with charsets and collations.
Speaking of collations, I found this website useful (especially when I had to compare
collations of different RDBMSs):
http://www.collation-charts.org/
Sorry for being OT, but every now and then it's worthwhile to share also some OT
knowledge.
Walter Tross

>Regards,
>--
>Shawn Green
>MySQL Principal Technical Support Engineer
>Oracle USA, Inc. - Hardware and Software, Engineered to Work Together.
>Office: Blountville, TN
>

>--

Foreign key and uppercase / lowercase valuesGF16 May
  • Re: Foreign key and uppercase / lowercase valuesAnanda Kumar16 May
    • RE: Foreign key and uppercase / lowercase valuesRick James16 May
    • Re: Foreign key and uppercase / lowercase valuesShawn Green16 May
      • Re: Foreign key and uppercase / lowercase valuesGF12 Jun
        • RE: Foreign key and uppercase / lowercase valuesRick James13 Jun
          • Re: Foreign key and uppercase / lowercase valuesGF15 Jun
            • RE: Foreign key and uppercase / lowercase valuesRick James15 Jun
              • Re: Foreign key and uppercase / lowercase valuesShawn Green15 Jun
                • RE: Foreign key and uppercase / lowercase valuesRick James15 Jun
                  • Re: Foreign key and uppercase / lowercase valuesShawn Green15 Jun
                    • Re: Foreign key and uppercase / lowercase valuesWalter Tross15 Jun
              • Re: Foreign key and uppercase / lowercase valuesGF18 Jun