List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rick James Date:June 13 2012 11:28pm
Subject:RE: i need advice on redundancy of mysql server.
View as plain text
I prefer:
* Master-Master ("dual master") but write to only one of them.  (Writing to both can lead
to duplicate keys, etc., unless you are very careful in your code.)
* Have the two Masters geographically separate.  (Think tornados, floods, earthquakes,
etc)
* Have Slave(s) hanging of each master -- (1) for read scaling, and (2) to avoid a major
outage when one Master goes down and you need to take the other one down to clone it.

Another thing to consider:
Backing up via a "LVM snapshot" requires only a minute or so of downtime, regardless of
dataset size.
Percona's XtraBackup is also very good.

I also agree that MyISAM in not best.  But, caution, InnoDB's disk footprint is 2x=3x
bigger than MyISAM's.

You can Load Balance reads (among slaves and, optionally, masters); you cannot do writes.

Any number of Apache servers can talk to MySQL.  But watch out -- MaxClients should not be
so large that it swamps max_connections.

Load balancing:
DNS is the simple way to load balance Apache.
There are low-impact software solutions.
There are hardware solutions.  (This is what I am used to at work; it is severe overkill
for most users.)

Bottom line:  There is no "best" or "perfect" solution.  First decide what 'keeps you up
at night'.

i need advice on redundancy of mysql server.Joey L11 Jun
  • Re: i need advice on redundancy of mysql server.Ananda Kumar11 Jun
    • Re: i need advice on redundancy of mysql server.Shawn Green11 Jun
      • Re: i need advice on redundancy of mysql server.Joey L11 Jun
        • Re: i need advice on redundancy of mysql server.Shawn Green11 Jun
          • Re: i need advice on redundancy of mysql server.Baron Schwartz11 Jun
            • Re: i need advice on redundancy of mysql server.Andrew Moore11 Jun
              • Re: i need advice on redundancy of mysql server.Baron Schwartz11 Jun
                • Re: i need advice on redundancy of mysql server.Joey L12 Jun
                  • Re: i need advice on redundancy of mysql server.Claudio Nanni12 Jun
                  • Re: i need advice on redundancy of mysql server.Johan De Meersman13 Jun
                    • Re: i need advice on redundancy of mysql server.Prabhat Kumar13 Jun
    • Re: i need advice on redundancy of mysql server.Joey L11 Jun
      • Re: i need advice on redundancy of mysql server.Andrew Moore11 Jun
        • Re: i need advice on redundancy of mysql server.Joey L11 Jun
  • RE: i need advice on redundancy of mysql server.Rick James13 Jun
    • Re: i need advice on redundancy of mysql server.Joey L14 Jun