List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Shawn Green Date:June 12 2012 3:42pm
Subject:Re: Minor collation question
View as plain text
On 6/12/2012 9:37 AM, Johan De Meersman wrote:
> ... but too lazy to look for it myself right now :-p
>
> I'm going to be running into (woot, scheduled problems :-p ) the 5.0 to 5.1 upgrade
> collation issue where German β is now collated as 's' instead of as 'ss', causing
> duplicate key errors.
>
> The basic solution is to set the collation to utf8_bin - so far, so good - but I'm
> wondering wether the table collation impacts only sorting, or wether comparisons will also
> magically become binary and/or other symptoms might pop up ? I suspect 'yes' based on the
> primary key issue, but I want to verify.

The other tactical move has been to jump 5.1 and upgrade directly from
5.0 to 5.5 where that problem is resolved.  Sure, it's a bit more work
(full dump/restore is highly recommended) but it avoids the collation
bug which exists in all 5.1.x releases.

Yes, collations are used for equality and inequality comparisons, too,
not just sorting. That's why having alternate spellings ,like the words
"strasse" and "straβe", will collide within a PK in 5.1 where they will
not for 5.0 or 5.5 (with the appropriate collation).

Shawn Green
Office: Blountville, TN

Thread
Minor collation questionJohan De Meersman12 Jun
  • Re: Minor collation questionShawn Green12 Jun
    • Re: Minor collation questionJohan De Meersman13 Jun
      • RE: Minor collation questionRick James13 Jun
        • Re: Minor collation questionJohan De Meersman14 Jun
          • Re: Minor collation questionwalter14 Jun