List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rick James Date:May 24 2012 11:41pm
Subject:RE: Architectural Help
View as plain text
I deal with dozens of systems, all doing cross-country or cross-ocean replication.  The
only viable approach (that we have deployed in production) is
* Dual-master, single writer -- That is, all 49 clients write to one machine
* The two masters are geographically separate.
* Failover involves switching to the 'other' master.  It is _not_ fully automated.
* Slaves, as needed, scattered around the world -- This provides read scaling.

1M writes per day -- that is an average of 12/sec.  Yawn.
Replication delay -- you probably will almost never see any.
Network outages -- one of many things that can cause trouble.  The sooner you write the
data _and_ copy it to a _remote_ site, the sooner you are immune to floods, tornados,
cyclones, power outages, motherboard death, etc.