List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:D. Dante Lorenso Date:May 18 2012 9:21pm
Subject:create alias for columns bound to database?
View as plain text
All,

I'd like to be able to create column aliases which are bound to the
database itself.  I have an assortment of columns without naming
standards which i'd like to migrate to a better naming scheme.

Is there a feature in MySQL that would allow me to give a database
column multiple names?  I'm thinking that for SELECT * statements, you
would use the default column name, but for insert, delete, update, etc,
it would be fine to use the aliased name or default.

Doing this would *really* help to allow me to migrate the database to
the new naming convention without breaking existing code.  I would then
be able to refactor at a more leisurely pace.

Does the feature exist, or can it be created?

-- Dante

D. Dante Lorenso
dante@stripped
972-333-4139
Thread
create alias for columns bound to database?D. Dante Lorenso18 May
  • RE: create alias for columns bound to database?David Lerer18 May
  • RE: create alias for columns bound to database?Rick James18 May
    • Re: create alias for columns bound to database?Johan De Meersman21 May
      • RE: create alias for columns bound to database?Rick James21 May