List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Claudio Nanni Date:May 15 2012 8:30pm
Subject:Re: multiple instances in win 7 -- any idea
View as plain text
Hi Charles,

it is very easy to run multiple mysql instances and of different versions
as well on the same server, including windows.

You just have to download the .zip version, NOT the installer.

The archive you get is basically a separate independent mysql instance that
can live fully in its own directory.

Unzip the archive/s in separate folders and create/copy the my.ini in the
root of that folder changing just two parameters:

ex:

c:\mysql3331

c:\mysql3332

Instance #1
-----------------
file:c:\mysql3331\my.ini

[client]
port = 3331
socket = /tmp/mysql3331.sock
[mysqld]
port = 3331
socket = /tmp/mysql3331.sock
basedir = c:\mysql3331

Instance #2
-----------------
file:c:\mysql3332\my.ini

[client]
port = 3332
socket = /tmp/mysql3332.sock
[mysqld]
port = 3332
socket = /tmp/mysql3332.sock
basedir = c:\mysql3332

set the right paths and enjoy.

you can quickly test if the server starts normally  by going into each
basedir with the prompt and running   bin\mysqld.exe

then on different terminals bin\mysql.exe -uroot    to login

Cheers

Claudio

2012/5/14 Shawn Green <shawn.l.green@stripped>

> On 5/13/2012 6:53 PM, Brown, Charles wrote:
> > I'm trying to install multiple instances of mysql on windows 7, 64bit.
> 3hrs into the job, I'm not making progress. Does anyone have an idea?
>
> 1) The installers are designed to work on single-instance installs or
> upgrades.
>
> 2) You only need one install to run multiple copies of the same release.
> The trick is to configure the necessary parts to be unique values between
> the instances
>
> 3) Each instance needs its own copy of unique data. No two active
> instances can share data.
>
> 4) The list of other items that must be unique per instance is listed here:
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/**refman/5.5/en/multiple-**servers.html<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/multiple-servers.html>
>
> 5) (mailing list rule) - avoid hijacking other threads
>
> 6) (general support advice) - when having a problem, try to provide
> descriptive details regarding what you are trying to do, any commands you
> are using, and what types of failures you are encountering (including any
> error messages you are receiving). This usually allows anyone trying to
> help you to respond in a more focused and less general way.
>
> Warmest regards,
> --
> Shawn Green
> MySQL Principal Technical Support Engineer
> Oracle USA, Inc. - Hardware and Software, Engineered to Work Together.
> Office: Blountville, TN

Claudio

Thread
New Fast MySQL Compatible Server (Take 2)Hiromichi Watari10 May
  • Re: New Fast MySQL Compatible Server (Take 2)Reindl Harald10 May
  • Re: New Fast MySQL Compatible Server (Take 2)Johan De Meersman11 May
    • Re: New Fast MySQL Compatible Server (Take 2)Giles Coochey11 May
      • Re: New Fast MySQL Compatible Server (Take 2)Hiromichi Watari15 May
    • Re: New Fast MySQL Compatible Server (Take 2)Hiromichi Watari12 May
      • multiple instances in win 7 -- any ideaCharles Brown13 May
      • Re: New Fast MySQL Compatible Server (Take 2)Johan De Meersman14 May
Re: multiple instances in win 7 -- any ideaShawn Green14 May
  • Re: multiple instances in win 7 -- any ideaClaudio Nanni15 May