List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Karen Abgarian Date:May 7 2012 5:30pm
Subject:Re: 回复: Why is creating inde
xes faster after inserting massive data rows?
View as plain text
Hi,

A couple cents to this.

There isn't really a million of block writes.   The record gets added to the block, but
that gets modified in OS cache if we assume MyISAM tables and in the Innodb buffer if we
assume InnoDB tables.   In both cases, the actual writing does not take place and does
not slow down the process.    What does however happen for each operation, is processing
the statement, locating the entries to update in the index, index block splits and , for
good reason, committing.

When it comes to creating an index, what needs to happen, is to read the whole table and
to sort all rows by the index key.   The latter process will be the most determining
factor in answering the original question, because for the large tables the sort will
have to do a lot of disk I/O.    The point I am trying to make is there will be
situations when creating indexes and then inserting the rows will be faster than creating
an index afterwards.   If we try to determine such situations, we could notice that the
likelihood of the sort going to disk increases with the amount of distinct values to be
sorted.   For this reason, my choice would be to create things like primary/unique keys
beforehand unless I am certain that everything will fit in the available memory.

Peace
Karen

On May 7, 2012, at 8:05 AM, Johan De Meersman wrote:

> [...]

Thread
Why is creating indexes faster after inserting massive data rows?Zhangzhigang7 May
  • Re: Why is creating indexes faster after inserting massive data rows?Ananda Kumar7 May
    • 回复: Why is creating indexes faster after inserting massive data rows?Zhangzhigang7 May
  • Re: Why is creating indexes faster after inserting massive data rows?Johan De Meersman7 May
    • 回复: Why is creating indexes faster after inserting massive data rows?Zhangzhigang7 May
      • Re: 回复: Why is creating indexes faster after inserting massive data rows?Alex Schaft7 May
        • 回复: 回复: Why is creating indexes faster after inserting massive data rows?Zhangzhigang7 May
          • Re: 回复: 回复: Why is creating indexes faster after inserting massive data rows?Claudio Nanni7 May
            • too nice not to share it!hsv2 Oct
          • Re: 回复: 回复: Why is creating indexes faster after inserting massive data rows?Mihamina Rakotomandimby30 May
      • Re: 回复: Why is creating indexes faster after inserting massive data rows?Claudio Nanni7 May
        • 回复: 回复: Why is creating indexes faster after inserting massive data rows?Zhangzhigang7 May
      • Re: 回复: Why is creating indexes faster after inserting massive data rows?Johan De Meersman7 May
        • RE: 回复: Why is creating indexes faster after inserting massive data rows?Rick James7 May
        • Re: 回复: Why is creating indexes faster after inserting massive data rows?Karen Abgarian7 May
          • 回复: 回复: Why is creating indexes faster after inserting massive data rows?Zhangzhigang8 May
            • Re: 回复: 回复: Why is creating indexes faster after inserting massive data rows?Karen Abgarian8 May
              • 回复: 回复: 回复: Why is creating indexes faster after inserting massive data rows?Zhangzhigang8 May
                • Re: 回复: 回复: 回复: Why is creating indexes faster after inserting massive data rows?Johan De Meersman8 May
                  • 回复: 回复: 回复: 回复: Why is creating indexes faster after inserting massive data rows?Zhangzhigang8 May
                  • Re: 回复: 回复: 回复: Why is creating indexes faster after inserting massive data rows?Karen Abgarian8 May
                    • 回复: 回复: 回复: 回复: Why is creating indexes faster after inserting massive data rows?Zhangzhigang9 May
              • RE: 回复: 回复: Why is creating indexes faster after inserting massive data rows?Rick James10 May
            • Re: 回复: 回复: Why is creating indexes faster after inserting massive data rows?Johan De Meersman8 May
        • Re: 回复: Why is creating indexes faster after inserting massive data rows?Karen Abgarian7 May
    • RE: Why is creating indexes faster after inserting massive datarows?Rick James7 May
      • 回复: Why is creating indexes faster after inserting massive data rows?Zhangzhigang9 May
        • RE: 回复: Why is creating indexes faster after inserting massive data rows?Rick James9 May
          • Re: 回复: Why is creating indexes faster after inserting massive data rows?Claudio Nanni9 May
          • 回复: 回复: Why is creating indexes faster after inserting massive data rows?Zhangzhigang10 May