List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Honza Horak Date:May 2 2012 1:16pm
Subject:Re: RFE: Allow to use version-specific my.cnf files
View as plain text
On 04/27/2012 03:26 PM, Shawn Green wrote:
> I frequently need to have multiple versions ready to operate on my
> machine at any time. I solved the configuration file problems by only
> setting them up in the basedir of the installed version.
>
> For those special occasions when I need to configure multiple copies of
> the same version, I create a separate set of --datadir folders and craft
> separate configuration files for both. I start mysqld using the
> --defaults-file option and point that at the special file for each
> instance.
>
> As a matter of convenience, if you need to constantly run with multiple
> instances on the same host and if any one of those may need to be using
> a different version than the others, then the utility mysqld_multi may
> be what you need to be looking at. Each instance you manage by the
> script can have their own separate set of settings all stored in the
> same, common, configuration file. Check it out:
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/mysqld-multi.html

Hi Shawn,

thanks for pointing to that. So we have a possibility to define
different options for different server instances using mysqld_multi.

My proposal allows to have something similar for clients as well
(without need to specify any command-line argument), or in cases when we
want to define the same options to more servers, according to their version.

It's probably nothing we cannot do now. But it could be a nice option,
much more cleaner in some environments.

Cheers,

Honza
Thread
RFE: Allow to use version-specific my.cnf filesHonza Horak25 Apr
  • Re: RFE: Allow to use version-specific my.cnf filesAndrĂ©s Tello25 Apr
    • Re: RFE: Allow to use version-specific my.cnf filesHonza Horak27 Apr
      • Re: RFE: Allow to use version-specific my.cnf filesShawn Green27 Apr
        • engine is now innoDB instead of MyISAM. Charles Brown28 Apr
          • Re: engine is now innoDB instead of MyISAM.Reindl Harald28 Apr
            • RE: engine is now innoDB instead of MyISAM.Charles Brown28 Apr
              • Re: engine is now innoDB instead of MyISAM.Claudio Nanni28 Apr
        • Re: RFE: Allow to use version-specific my.cnf filesHonza Horak2 May
    • RE: RFE: Allow to use version-specific my.cnf filesRick James2 May
      • Can the mysql replication limited to one database Charles Brown2 May
        • Re: Can the mysql replication limited to one databasea.smith2 May
          • RE: Can the mysql replication limited to one databaseRick James2 May
            • using the bin-log approach on the master side, how can I accomplishmy replication objectivesCharles Brown3 May
              • Re: using the bin-log approach on the master side, how can I accomplish my replication objectivesNitin Mehta3 May
        • RE: Can the mysql replication limited to one database Rick James2 May
          • Re: Can the mysql replication limited to one databaseClaudio Nanni2 May
            • Re: Can the mysql replication limited to one databaseSinger X.J. Wang2 May
            • RE: Can the mysql replication limited to one databaseRick James2 May
          • RE: Can the mysql replication limited to one database Charles Brown2 May
            • RE: Can the mysql replication limited to one database Rick James2 May
Re: engine is now innoDB instead of MyISAM.Claudio Nanni29 Apr
  • RE: engine is now innoDB instead of MyISAM.Charles Brown29 Apr
    • Re: engine is now innoDB instead of MyISAM.Reindl Harald29 Apr
      • Re: engine is now innoDB instead of MyISAM.Charles Brown29 Apr
        • Re: engine is now innoDB instead of MyISAM.Michael Dykman30 Apr
    • RE: engine is now innoDB instead of MyISAM.Claudio Nanni29 Apr
      • RE: engine is now innoDB instead of MyISAM.Rick James30 Apr
Re: using the bin-log approach on the master side, how can I accomplish my replication objectivesNitin Mehta3 May
  • RE: using the bin-log approach on the master side, how can Iaccomplish my replication objectivesCharles Brown3 May
    • Re: using the bin-log approach on the master side, how can I accomplish my replication objectivesNitin Mehta3 May
  • master BIN-LOG maintenaceCharles Brown3 May
    • Re: master BIN-LOG maintenaceNitin Mehta3 May
      • RE: master BIN-LOG maintenaceRick James3 May
  • RE: using the bin-log approach on the master side, how can Iaccomplish my replication objectivesRick James3 May