List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Shawn Green Date:April 27 2012 1:26pm
Subject:Re: RFE: Allow to use version-specific my.cnf files
View as plain text
Hello Honza,

On 4/27/2012 4:35 AM, Honza Horak wrote:
> On 04/25/2012 05:52 PM, Andrés Tello wrote:
>> Reads interesting, but...
>>
>> Why would you need that?
>>
>> I mean... If I run several databases in the same hardware, I use
>> completely
>> diferent paths for evertying, so I can have atomic, clean and specific
>> files for each instance/version of the database....
>
> Thanks for your opinion.
>
> You're right, it doesn't make too much sense regarding system-wide
> configuration files, such as /etc/my.cnf. A real use case I see is when
> we speak about users' config files, like ~/.my.cnf.
>
> Let's say we have two different MySQL versions on one hardware, then
> it's possible we'll need a bit different options for each instance.
>
> MySQL unfortunately doesn't distinguish between user-specific (usually
> called rc files) and system-wide config files. Trying to have the patch
> simple, I applied the feature to all config files (which was not
> necessary).
>
> The attached patch now is a bit more complicated, but restricts the
> feature only for config files in user's home directory. I believe this
> makes more sense, than the original one.
>
> Any comments welcome again.
>
> Cheers,

I frequently need to have multiple versions ready to operate on my
machine at any time. I solved the configuration file problems by only
setting them up in the basedir of the installed version.

For those special occasions when I need to configure multiple copies of
the same version, I create a separate set of --datadir folders and craft
separate configuration files for both. I start mysqld using the
--defaults-file option and point that at the special file for each
instance.

As a matter of convenience, if you need to constantly run with multiple
instances on the same host and if any one of those may need to be using
a different version than the others, then the utility mysqld_multi may
be what you need to be looking at.  Each instance you manage by the
script can have their own separate set of settings all stored in the
same, common, configuration file. Check it out:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/mysqld-multi.html

--
Shawn Green
Office: Blountville, TN
Thread
RFE: Allow to use version-specific my.cnf filesHonza Horak25 Apr
  • Re: RFE: Allow to use version-specific my.cnf filesAndrĂ©s Tello25 Apr
    • Re: RFE: Allow to use version-specific my.cnf filesHonza Horak27 Apr
      • Re: RFE: Allow to use version-specific my.cnf filesShawn Green27 Apr
        • engine is now innoDB instead of MyISAM. Charles Brown28 Apr
          • Re: engine is now innoDB instead of MyISAM.Reindl Harald28 Apr
            • RE: engine is now innoDB instead of MyISAM.Charles Brown28 Apr
              • Re: engine is now innoDB instead of MyISAM.Claudio Nanni28 Apr
        • Re: RFE: Allow to use version-specific my.cnf filesHonza Horak2 May
    • RE: RFE: Allow to use version-specific my.cnf filesRick James2 May
      • Can the mysql replication limited to one database Charles Brown2 May
        • Re: Can the mysql replication limited to one databasea.smith2 May
          • RE: Can the mysql replication limited to one databaseRick James2 May
            • using the bin-log approach on the master side, how can I accomplishmy replication objectivesCharles Brown3 May
              • Re: using the bin-log approach on the master side, how can I accomplish my replication objectivesNitin Mehta3 May
        • RE: Can the mysql replication limited to one database Rick James2 May
          • Re: Can the mysql replication limited to one databaseClaudio Nanni2 May
            • Re: Can the mysql replication limited to one databaseSinger X.J. Wang2 May
            • RE: Can the mysql replication limited to one databaseRick James2 May
          • RE: Can the mysql replication limited to one database Charles Brown2 May
            • RE: Can the mysql replication limited to one database Rick James2 May
Re: engine is now innoDB instead of MyISAM.Claudio Nanni29 Apr
  • RE: engine is now innoDB instead of MyISAM.Charles Brown29 Apr
    • Re: engine is now innoDB instead of MyISAM.Reindl Harald29 Apr
      • Re: engine is now innoDB instead of MyISAM.Charles Brown29 Apr
        • Re: engine is now innoDB instead of MyISAM.Michael Dykman30 Apr
    • RE: engine is now innoDB instead of MyISAM.Claudio Nanni29 Apr
      • RE: engine is now innoDB instead of MyISAM.Rick James30 Apr
Re: using the bin-log approach on the master side, how can I accomplish my replication objectivesNitin Mehta3 May
  • RE: using the bin-log approach on the master side, how can Iaccomplish my replication objectivesCharles Brown3 May
    • Re: using the bin-log approach on the master side, how can I accomplish my replication objectivesNitin Mehta3 May
  • master BIN-LOG maintenaceCharles Brown3 May
    • Re: master BIN-LOG maintenaceNitin Mehta3 May
      • RE: master BIN-LOG maintenaceRick James3 May
  • RE: using the bin-log approach on the master side, how can Iaccomplish my replication objectivesRick James3 May