List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:April 4 2012 1:23pm
Subject:Argh. Packages.
View as plain text
A little heads-up for those thinking of toying with NDB. Not the actual NDB, mind you, the

While the packages you download are very eloquently named
(mysql-cluster-gpl-7.2.5-debian5.0-x86_64.deb), someone inside Oracle either doesn't quite
grok how dpkg works, or deliberately made a rather unfortunate decision: INSIDE the
package, where the true package name is recorded, it says mysql-5.5.20. No mention of
cluster, NDB or whatever.

Now I know, the actual MySQL 5.5.20 is included in that package. That's not a problem.
However, I feel that since the package is destined for NDB installations, that should be
reflected in the naming. All the more because this could've well messed up my internal
repository: when importing the package, it gets automatically renamed to mysql-5.5.20 -
good thing we didn't have that exact version in the repo. This also, and rather more
annoyingly, will also REPLACE a pre-existing mysql package where you would expect it to
simply install next to it - although that may not be a common scenario, impromptu upgrades
are never a good thing :-)

On a less dangerous, but still a bit bothersome note, the package installs nothing
whatsoever in the Debian-appropriate places - in simply dumps everything in /opt, with not
even an init script provided. Guess I have my work cut out for me :-p

Can't help but wonder if the RPMs are in an equally abysmal state?

Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn
Sy die't drinkt, is eene kwezel
Hy die't drinkt, is ras een ezel