List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:April 3 2012 8:41am
Subject:Re: Percona: Contact Details - a word on poaching
View as plain text
----- Original Message -----
> From: "Wes Modes" <wmodes@stripped>
>
> Hi, I received a suggestion from Baron Schwartz that I consider your
> company for consulting advice as a solution to an enquiry I made to
> the MySQL list.  I did not respond to Baron Schwartz and now I receive
> this email from an account executive.  I don not think I am alone is
> believing poaching the list is unethical.
>
> Please feel free to have your experts offer suggestions and advice,
> but having those experts directly passing contacts on to sales execs does
> not feel okay.  Using the MySQL lists as a honey pot for sales
> opportunities is not why the list exist.

I'm slightly in two minds, here. On the one hand, yes, the list isn't made for being
poached.

On the other hand, it is my experience that Percona is very liberal in dispensing free -
and good - advice here. Your recent enquiry is not an obvious thing, however. Percona is
still a business, and your problem is unlikely to be solved just like that - it seems
appropriate for them to offer their services. The sales guy might've waited a bit longer
to see if you responded, but it still doesn't feel all that pushy, to me.

You say you haven't answered, yet; so you also haven't quite told them that you're /not/
in the market, either :-) I'm sure a simple "no, not right now" is sufficient, if you're
not interested.

--
Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn