List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Eric Bergen Date:April 3 2012 1:28am
Subject:Re: Replication rings/maatkit (was: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare)
View as plain text
I suggest buying a copy of High Performance MySQL 3rd edition that
just came out. It has a whole chapter on HA that answers a lot of
these questions.

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM, Wes Modes <wmodes@stripped> wrote:

>> Replication rings are possible but you must design your application to
>> take special care to NOT update the same row in multiple nodes of the
>> ring at the same time. This is even harder to design and code for than
>> splitting writes/reads to master/slaves.
>>
>> Also the loss of one node of a replication ring is not as easy to
>> recover from as simply promoting one slave to become the new master of
>> a replication tree (demoting the recovered former-master to become yet
>> another slave) as there may be pending events in the relay logs of the
>> lost node that have not yet been relayed to the downstream node.
>>
>> I may not have every answer, but I have seen nearly every kind of
>> failure.  Everyone else is encouraged to add their views to the
>> discussion.
>>

> Has anyone used maatkit or Percona to setup circular replication?  How
> does it affect this system's reliability and robustness?  Do the tools
> help to deal with fail over?
>
> W.
>
> --
> Wes Modes
> Systems Designer, Developer, and Administrator
> University Library ITS
> University of California, Santa Cruz

Eric Bergen
eric.bergen@stripped
http://www.ebergen.net
Thread
HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedWes Modes30 Mar
  • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedRick James30 Mar
  • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedKaren Abgarian30 Mar
  • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedshawn green30 Mar
    • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedWes Modes2 Apr
      • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedRick James2 Apr
      • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedshawn green2 Apr
        • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedWes Modes2 Apr
          • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture Suggestion WantedTim Dunphy3 Apr
          • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedIan3 Apr
            • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture Suggestion WantedJohan De Meersman3 Apr
            • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedWes Modes3 Apr
            • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedWes Modes4 Apr
        • Re: Replication rings/maatkit (was: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN+ VMWare)Wes Modes3 Apr
          • Re: Replication rings/maatkit (was: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare)Eric Bergen3 Apr
Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedWes Modes4 Apr