List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Wes Modes Date:April 3 2012 1:14am
Subject:Re: Replication rings/maatkit (was: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN
+ VMWare)
View as plain text
> Replication rings are possible but you must design your application to
> take special care to NOT update the same row in multiple nodes of the
> ring at the same time. This is even harder to design and code for than
> splitting writes/reads to master/slaves.
>
> Also the loss of one node of a replication ring is not as easy to
> recover from as simply promoting one slave to become the new master of
> a replication tree (demoting the recovered former-master to become yet
> another slave) as there may be pending events in the relay logs of the
> lost node that have not yet been relayed to the downstream node.
>
> I may not have every answer, but I have seen nearly every kind of
> failure.  Everyone else is encouraged to add their views to the
> discussion.

Has anyone used maatkit or Percona to setup circular replication?  How
does it affect this system's reliability and robustness?  Do the tools
help to deal with fail over?

W.

--
Wes Modes
Systems Designer, Developer, and Administrator

Thread
HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedWes Modes30 Mar
  • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedRick James30 Mar
  • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedKaren Abgarian30 Mar
  • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedshawn green30 Mar
    • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedWes Modes2 Apr
      • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedRick James2 Apr
      • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedshawn green2 Apr
        • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedWes Modes2 Apr
          • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture Suggestion WantedTim Dunphy3 Apr
          • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedIan3 Apr
            • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture Suggestion WantedJohan De Meersman3 Apr
            • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedWes Modes3 Apr
            • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedWes Modes4 Apr
        • Re: Replication rings/maatkit (was: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN+ VMWare)Wes Modes3 Apr
          • Re: Replication rings/maatkit (was: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare)Eric Bergen3 Apr
Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedWes Modes4 Apr