List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rick James Date:April 2 2012 8:59pm
Subject:Re: MySQL Multi-Master Replication
View as plain text
NDB Cluster -- Not only can this use multiple machines in one cluster,
but you can have multiple clusters each taking writes.
This can lead to "conflicts" when writes go to multiple masters
'simultaneously'.  NDB resolves them automatically, based on algorithms
that _you_ pre-specify.  (Eg, "take the one with the earlier timestamp".)
Caveat:  The "engine" is not quite the same as InnoDB, so you need to
learn about its quirks.

MMM -- Beware of recovery problems if one machine dies and cannot be
resuscitated.

The biggest fear of single-Master (or Dual Master - singler writer, etc)
is when the real problem is a network issue.  If you cannot get to the
'dead' Master to see that it really is dead, you don't dare promote some
other machine to be Master.

There are many 3rd party products that claim to go beyond out-of-the-box
MySQL Replication.  But, look under there covers.  Make sure you can
live with their subtle, hidden, limitations.

Remember, "semi-sync" is called "semi" for a reason.

Percona Cluster carries semi-sync a little closer to fully sync, but it
is not.

If you really must scale both reads and writes, and you are unwilling to
separate reads and writes, then maybe NDB Cluster is your first choice.
I would rather convince you to separate your reads and writes, while
avoiding problems with "critical reads".

--
Rick James - MySQL Geek

Thread
MySQL Multi-Master ReplicationWes Modes2 Apr
  • Re: MySQL Multi-Master ReplicationRick James2 Apr