List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rick James Date:March 30 2012 6:16pm
Subject:Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture Suggestion
Wanted
View as plain text
Caution:  You are not going to like my answers.

 > and VMWare
 > shared storage
Why?  Seems like scalability should plan on having dedicated hardware.

 > replication
The best choice
 > multi-mastering
Dual-Master gives good HA
 > DRBD
Partially solves one subset of HA; don't bother with it; set your sights
higher.
 > clustering
maybe
 > PARTITION
Only if you have really big tables
 > Sharding
Only if you are writing faster than a single server can handle -- I say
that even for Dual-Master setups.

 > With the primary application that will be using the database, writes
and reads cannot be split off from each other.
That is probably false.  Yes, it will take some deeper thought to
understand how to split them, or split them in certain situations.

 > We do not expect to be especially write-heavy.
Skip Sharding, use readonly slaves.

 > We have shared storage
Single-point-of-failure --> there goes your HA.

 > We have VMWare HA which already monitors hosts and brings them up
within minutes elsewhere if we lose a host.
That is thinking at the hardware level.  But will it really work for
Dual-Master?

 > another instance of our system running in the Amazon cloud
Bother.  More complexity.

--
Rick James - MySQL Geek

Thread
HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedWes Modes30 Mar
  • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedRick James30 Mar
  • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedKaren Abgarian30 Mar
  • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedshawn green30 Mar
    • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedWes Modes2 Apr
      • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedRick James2 Apr
      • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedshawn green2 Apr
        • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedWes Modes2 Apr
          • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture Suggestion WantedTim Dunphy3 Apr
          • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedIan3 Apr
            • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture Suggestion WantedJohan De Meersman3 Apr
            • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedWes Modes3 Apr
            • Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedWes Modes4 Apr
        • Re: Replication rings/maatkit (was: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN+ VMWare)Wes Modes3 Apr
          • Re: Replication rings/maatkit (was: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare)Eric Bergen3 Apr
Re: HA & Scalability w MySQL + SAN + VMWare: Architecture SuggestionWantedWes Modes4 Apr