List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:March 27 2012 10:33am
Subject:Re: big character constant
View as plain text
----- Original Message -----
> From: "Halász Sándor" <hsv@stripped>
> input for Word (yes, I have to work MySQL CSV-ish output into real
> CSV, ensuring that there are no escapes in it, nor 'NULL' either).

And this is why it's beneficial to specify your goal along with your question :-)

MySQL does have a proper CSV engine; and it's mystifying why it isnt' accessible in any
other way. I say "engine", and you can take that literally: just like you have MyISAM and
InnoDB engines, CSV is also an engine that is applicable to tables.

Just do a "create table myexport engine=CSV as select * from mytable;" and a myexport.CSV
file will magically appear in the data directory. You'll need the proper privileges to
read it, of course; and you should use "drop table myexport;" to delete it instead of
doing so from the file manager; but it will be proper CSV.

Note that CSV means "comma separated value", but that MS Excel, for one, tends to use
semicolons instead. Shouldn't be a major hurdle in importing, though.

Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn
Sy die't drinkt, is eene kwezel
Hy die't drinkt, is ras een ezel
big character constanthsv24 Mar
  • Re: big character constantDavid Turner25 Mar
  • Re: big character constantWalter Tross25 Mar
    • Re: big character constanthsv26 Mar
      • Re: big character constantJohan De Meersman27 Mar
        • Re: big character constanthsv28 Mar
Re: big character constanthsv27 Mar
  • Re: big character constantTodd Lyons27 Mar
    • Re: big character constanthsv28 Mar
      • Re: big character constantNuno Tavares28 Mar
        • Re: big character constantTodd Lyons28 Mar