List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:March 27 2012 10:33am
Subject:Re: big character constant
View as plain text
----- Original Message -----
> From: "Halász Sándor" <hsv@stripped>
>
> input for Word (yes, I have to work MySQL CSV-ish output into real
> CSV, ensuring that there are no escapes in it, nor 'NULL' either).

And this is why it's beneficial to specify your goal along with your question :-)

MySQL does have a proper CSV engine; and it's mystifying why it isnt' accessible in any
other way. I say "engine", and you can take that literally: just like you have MyISAM and
InnoDB engines, CSV is also an engine that is applicable to tables.

Just do a "create table myexport engine=CSV as select * from mytable;" and a myexport.CSV
file will magically appear in the data directory. You'll need the proper privileges to
read it, of course; and you should use "drop table myexport;" to delete it instead of
doing so from the file manager; but it will be proper CSV.

Note that CSV means "comma separated value", but that MS Excel, for one, tends to use
semicolons instead. Shouldn't be a major hurdle in importing, though.

/johan
--
Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn
Sy die't drinkt, is eene kwezel
Hy die't drinkt, is ras een ezel
Thread
big character constanthsv24 Mar
  • Re: big character constantDavid Turner25 Mar
  • Re: big character constantWalter Tross25 Mar
    • Re: big character constanthsv26 Mar
      • Re: big character constantJohan De Meersman27 Mar
        • Re: big character constanthsv28 Mar
Re: big character constanthsv27 Mar
  • Re: big character constantTodd Lyons27 Mar
    • Re: big character constanthsv28 Mar
      • Re: big character constantNuno Tavares28 Mar
        • Re: big character constantTodd Lyons28 Mar