List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:January 2 2000 3:31pm
Subject:Re: MySQL handles command line passwords in different fashion
than the prompt
View as plain text
Hi!

I was scanning old mails to check if we have any unsolved problems and
come across the belove mail message.

The problem is that MySQL uses the getpass() function on SunOS to get
the password and this cuts down the password to 8 characters.

In MySQL 3.22.29 and 3.23.8 I have fixed so that we don't anymore use
the getpass() function on SunOS or Solaris 2.5.1 to avoid this problem.

Regards,
Monty

Suraj> At 03:50 PM 11/15/1999 +0200, sinisa@stripped wrote:
>> sbhide@stripped writes:
>> >      I had set an account and its password. the password incidentally was 9
> chars.
>> >      I faced this problem. if i try to connect to MySQL via
>> >      "mysql -utms_admin -ttms_admin TMS_TEST" it would work allright.
>> >      however when i try it as
>> >      "mysql -utms_admin -p TMS_TEST"
>> >      it would prompt for a password and if i enter "tms_admin" (correct
> one)
>> >      then it would still fail. finally i figured out that the password
>> >      takes only 8 characters when prompted.
>> >

>> Hi!
>>
>> Try this:
>>
>> mysql -utms_admin -pTMS_TEST
>>
>> No spaces between -p and password !
>>
>> Sinisa

Suraj> oops sorry.. my mistake in typing the problem report.

Suraj> actually the first command given is here again:
Suraj> 1. mysql -utms_admin -ptms_admin TMS_TEST
Suraj> here the TMS_TEST is the database name and not the password and the tms_admin is
> both the user name
Suraj> and password. Note this command works fine.

Suraj> however when i try:

Suraj> 2. mysql -utms_admin -p TMS_TEST (here i don't give the password on command line
> but mysql will prompt for one and i enter it then), it does prompt for password where in i
> enter 'tms_admin' and it says access denied for this user.

Suraj> however, when i change the password from tms_admin (9 chars) to tmsadmin (8
> chars) both the commands work fine (of course, the password being changed to tmsadmin
> rather than tms_admin in both 1. and 2. above)

Suraj> - suraj

Suraj> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Suraj> Please check "http://www.mysql.com/Manual_chapter/manual_toc.html" before
Suraj> posting. To request this thread, e-mail mysql-thread18734@stripped

Suraj> To unsubscribe, send a message to the address shown in the
Suraj> List-Unsubscribe header of this message. If you cannot see it,
Suraj> e-mail mysql-unsubscribe@stripped instead.
Thread
MySQL handles command line passwords in different fashion than the promptsbhide14 Nov
  • Re: MySQL handles command line passwords in different fashion than the promptsinisa15 Nov
    • Re: MySQL handles command line passwords in different fashionthan the promptSuraj Bhide15 Nov
      • Re: MySQL handles command line passwords in different fashionthan the promptMichael Widenius2 Jan