List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:January 2 2000 3:16pm
Subject:CONCURRENT_INSERT & DELAY_KEY_WRITE off or on?
View as plain text
Hi!

>>>>> "Rick" == Rick Moore <rick@stripped> writes:

Rick> Hello!
Rick> I'm running MySQL 3.23.7 on FreeBSD 3.4.  I'm starting MySQL with the
Rick> safe_mysqld script and the only option I'm setting is key_buffer_limit.

Rick> Executing "show variables;" shows
Rick> CONCURRENT_INSERT    off
Rick> DELAY_KEY_WRITE        off

Rick> First, according to the manual (10.2.3), CONCURRENT_INSERT should be on by
Rick> default.  Is there something I'm missing?  Is safe_mysqld doing something
Rick> that I don't see in the script?

Sorry;  The above flag was wrong in 3.23.7;  This is fixed in 3.23.8.

Rick> DELAY_KEY_WRITE has the same issue (should be on by default, but show
Rick> variables says it is off).  I vaguely recall that this was a known issue.
Rick> The only reason I bring it up is because I thought it was fixed in 3.23.7,
Rick> or is this a different issue?

I am not completely sure if it was fixed in 3.23.7;  Anyway, in my
running 3.23.8 version I have:

| concurrent_insert      | ON                       |
| delay_key_write        | ON                       |

Rick> Also, the DELAY_KEY_WRITE description in 10.2.3 starts off: "If enabled (is
Rick> on by default), MySQL will honor the delay_key_write option CREATE TABLE..."
Rick> Well, it doesn't seem to be on by default, but lets keep going anyway: "Note
Rick> that if you start mysqld with the --delay-key-write option this means that
Rick> all tables will be threaded as if they where created with the
Rick> delay_key_write option. "  This seems to contradict the first sentence of
Rick> the description.  The first sentence says it enables the CREATE TABLE
Rick> option, and the last sentence says it overrides the CREATE TABLE option.
Rick> Which is correct?

Both.  The problem is that the above is the description of the
'delay_key_write' flag, which is not exactly the same as the
'delay_key_write' startup option for mysqld.  I shall at once rename
the mysqld startup option to 'delay_key_write_for_all_tables'.

I have now updated the manual about this.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
CONCURRENT_INSERT & DELAY_KEY_WRITE off or on?Rick Moore2 Jan
  • Database for use with DelphiMike Smith2 Jan
  • CONCURRENT_INSERT & DELAY_KEY_WRITE off or on?Michael Widenius2 Jan
  • Re: Database for use with Delphimiguel angel sol√≥rzano2 Jan
  • Re: Database for use with DelphiSven E. van 't Veer3 Jan
  • Re: Database for use with DelphiSven E. van 't Veer3 Jan
  • Re: Database for use with DelphiMike Smith3 Jan
  • Re: Database for use with DelphiMike Smith3 Jan
  • Re: Database for use with Delphisven4 Jan
  • Re: Database for use with DelphiSven E. van 't Veer5 Jan
  • Re: CONCURRENT_INSERT & DELAY_KEY_WRITE off or on?Rick Moore5 Jan
    • Re: CONCURRENT_INSERT & DELAY_KEY_WRITE off or on?Paul DuBois6 Jan
    • Re: CONCURRENT_INSERT & DELAY_KEY_WRITE off or on?Michael Widenius6 Jan
  • Re: CONCURRENT_INSERT & DELAY_KEY_WRITE off or on?Rick Moore6 Jan
  • Re: CONCURRENT_INSERT & DELAY_KEY_WRITE off or on?Rick Moore6 Jan