List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Baron Schwartz Date:February 29 2012 7:03pm
Subject:Re: mysql clustering -- any pitfalls ?
View as plain text
It sounds like you've been handed a mandate that's difficult to
understand, but it could be because I don't understand the context, or
you may not understand your manager's real intention.  In any case,
"everyone is doing clustering" is certainly not accurate.  And every
"clustering" technology is actually built on some type of replication
(this is how data is duplicated into more than one place.)

There are a lot of pitfalls to clustering, the first being that you
might not understand exactly what you're asking the list to help you
with. Are you talking about changing to MySQL (NDB) Cluster?  This is
an entirely different set of technologies that takes a lot of
expertise and experience to administer, and it is by no means seamless
for the application.  This is not something to take lightly.

You may be interested in a relatively new clustering technology called
Galera, however, which is shipped as an integrated package in Percona
XtraDB Cluster:
http://www.percona.com/software/percona-xtradb-cluster/  The benefit
is that it's basically transparent for the application, and it's
familiar technology (with some added components) to administer.

- Baron

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 6:17 AM, Brown, Charles <CBrown@stripped> wrote:
> Anyone out there with experience in Mysql Clustering. My management requests that i
> migrate from replication to clustering. Why? Because everyone is doing clustering and he
> would like to stay competitive. The question is what are the pitfalls -- if any? Our
> replication objective is to address availability.
>
> Help me
Thread
error 1041: Out of memory; Shafi AHMED28 Feb
Re: error 1041: Out of memory;Mihamina Rakotomandimby29 Feb
  • mysql clustering -- any pitfalls ?Charles Brown29 Feb
    • Re: mysql clustering -- any pitfalls ?Johan De Meersman29 Feb
    • Re: mysql clustering -- any pitfalls ?Baron Schwartz29 Feb
  • syntax to create a user called starsky Charles Brown29 Feb
    • Re: syntax to create a user called starskyChris Tate-Davies29 Feb