List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Dykman Date:February 28 2012 7:56pm
Subject:Re: does the number of column affect performance
View as plain text
not to mention, updating any field on table 2 requires the entire
contents to be written out again instead of being able to effect those
columns individually.

Quite a few NoSL solutions work on a similar model which, while useful
in places, is decidedly NOT relational.  If you are *certain* that the
primary key is the only key you will ever need and it is acceptable to
read/write all fields together each and every time, then perhaps one
of those products will suit you.  MySQL is a Relational Database
Management System and best suited for relational database management.

Don't take this as a specific recommendation. My experience with NoSQL
systems suggests that in many cases the application would have been
better off with a relational engine underneath.  All too often, a lack
of up-front analysis lures developers and architects into thinking
that the relational properties are not important, only to find out
later in the project that they are critical.,

 - michael dykman

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Paul DuBois <paul.dubois@stripped> wrote:

> On Feb 28, 2012, at 9:59 AM, Zheng Li wrote:
>
>> for example
>> there are 2 tables to save same data
>> table A has 10 columns: a primary key column and 9 blob column
>> table B has 2 columns : a primary key column and 1 blob column which includes all
> data in 2nd~10th columns of table A
>>
>> are there any differences in performance when selecting, inserting, updating, and
> deleting data.
>
> Sure. For example, with table A, you can select only those blob columns you're
> interested in. With B, you have to select all of them if you want *any* of them.
>

> --
> Paul DuBois
> Oracle Corporation / MySQL Documentation Team
> Madison, Wisconsin, USA
> www.mysql.com

 - michael dykman
 - mdykman@stripped

 May the Source be with you.
Thread
does the number of column affect performanceZheng Li28 Feb
  • Re: does the number of column affect performancePaul DuBois28 Feb
    • Re: does the number of column affect performanceMichael Dykman28 Feb
    • Re: does the number of column affect performanceZheng Li29 Feb
      • Re: does the number of column affect performanceBaron Schwartz29 Feb
        • Re: does the number of column affect performanceJohan De Meersman1 Mar
    • Re: does the number of column affect performanceZheng Li9 Mar
      • Re: does the number of column affect performanceZheng Li9 Mar