List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jan Steinman Date:February 20 2012 5:22pm
Subject:Re: Design advice for hotel availability program
View as plain text
Where are your domain experts? You *are* consulting with them, no?

If you don't know the answers, and don't have access to domain experts to help you, I
would design for the most general case, and factor out exceptions as they prove to be so.
"Pre-optimization" for exceptions almost always turns out to be a bad choice.

> From: Tompkins Neil <neil.tompkins@stripped>
>
> ....  Am
> I best using the following pattern
>
> (1) Default rates/rooms stored in a generic table
> (2) Any exceptions/changes/closed days to the daily rates are store in
> a separate table.
> (3) Any special offer exceptions are stored as a rule
>
> All, should I consider that for any hotel, for any room, for any day I have
> a record in a huge single table ???

Everything we think we know about the world is a model... None of these is or ever will be
the real world. -- Donella H. Meadows

Design advice for hotel availability programTompkins Neil17 Feb
  • Re: Design advice for hotel availability programChaim Rieger20 Feb
    • Re: Design advice for hotel availability programAndrĂ©s Tello21 Feb
Re: Design advice for hotel availability programJan Steinman20 Feb
  • Re: Design advice for hotel availability programClaudio Nanni20 Feb
  • Re: Design advice for hotel availability programNeil Tompkins20 Feb