List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Dykman Date:February 6 2012 8:54pm
Subject:Re: mysql won't start with service, but starts with mysqld_safe
View as plain text
On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Larry Martell <larry.martell@stripped> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Shawn Green (MySQL)
> <shawn.l.green@stripped> wrote:
>> On 2/4/2012 19:57, Larry Martell wrote:
>>>
>>> Just installed mysql on centos 6.2. When I try to start it with service I
>>> get:
>>>
>>> #service mysqld start
>>> MySQL Daemon failed to start.
>>> Starting mysqld:
>
> [FAILED]
>>>
>>> Nothing at all is written to the error log.
>>>
>>> But if I start it with mysqld_safe it comes up and works fine.
>>>
>>> Anyone know what could be going on here?
>>>
>>> -larry
>>>

>> If the daemon is attempting to change users during startup, then you must be
>> root when you start it.  Otherwise, become the user `mysql` then start the
>> daemon (service) under the proper credentials.
>>
>> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/server-options.html#option_mysqld_user
>
> I was root when issuing the 'service mysqld start' command. I just
> tried it as the mysql user, and it failed in the same way.
>
> I traced the service mysqld start and I saw that it invoked
> /etc/init.d/mysqld (which invokes mysqld_safe). When I invoke
> /etc/init.d/mysqld (or mysqld_safe) the server comes up fine. Very
> odd.

I haven't seen it mentioned, so I'll give it a shot:  Have you checked
the permissions on your data directory?  If you are getting no message
in your .err file thhat is often the cause.  It should be owned by the
mysql user.

--
 - michael dykman
 - mdykman@stripped

 May the Source be with you.
Thread
mysql won't start with service, but starts with mysqld_safeLarry Martell5 Feb
  • Re: mysql won't start with service, but starts with mysqld_safeChris Tate-Davies6 Feb
    • Re: mysql won't start with service, but starts with mysqld_safeLarry Martell6 Feb
      • Re: mysql won't start with service, but starts with mysqld_safeChris Tate-Davies6 Feb
        • Re: mysql won't start with service, but starts with mysqld_safeReindl Harald6 Feb
          • Re: mysql won't start with service, but starts with mysqld_safeLarry Martell6 Feb
          • Re: mysql won't start with service, but starts with mysqld_safeChris Tate-Davies6 Feb
            • Re: mysql won't start with service, but starts with mysqld_safeLarry Martell6 Feb
        • Re: mysql won't start with service, but starts with mysqld_safeLarry Martell6 Feb
  • Re: mysql won't start with service, but starts with mysqld_safeMySQL)6 Feb
    • Re: mysql won't start with service, but starts with mysqld_safeLarry Martell6 Feb
      • Re: mysql won't start with service, but starts with mysqld_safeMichael Dykman6 Feb
  • Re: mysql won't start with service, but starts with mysqld_safeFrédéric Descamps6 Feb