List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Shawn Green (MySQL) Date:February 6 2012 8:26pm
Subject:Re: mysql won't start with service, but starts with mysqld_safe
View as plain text
On 2/4/2012 19:57, Larry Martell wrote:
> Just installed mysql on centos 6.2. When I try to start it with service I get:
>
> #service mysqld start
> MySQL Daemon failed to start.
> Starting mysqld:                                           [FAILED]
>
> Nothing at all is written to the error log.
>
> But if I start it with mysqld_safe it comes up and works fine.
>
> Anyone know what could be going on here?
>
> -larry

If the daemon is attempting to change users during startup, then you
must be root when you start it.  Otherwise, become the user `mysql` then
start the daemon (service) under the proper credentials.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/server-options.html#option_mysqld_user

--
Shawn Green
Office: Blountville, TN
          • Re: mysql won't start with service, but starts with mysqld_safeLarry Martell6 Feb
          • Re: mysql won't start with service, but starts with mysqld_safeChris Tate-Davies6 Feb
            • Re: mysql won't start with service, but starts with mysqld_safeLarry Martell6 Feb
        • Re: mysql won't start with service, but starts with mysqld_safeLarry Martell6 Feb
  • Re: mysql won't start with service, but starts with mysqld_safeMySQL)6 Feb
    • Re: mysql won't start with service, but starts with mysqld_safeLarry Martell6 Feb
      • Re: mysql won't start with service, but starts with mysqld_safeMichael Dykman6 Feb
  • Re: mysql won't start with service, but starts with mysqld_safeFrédéric Descamps6 Feb