List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Dykman Date:February 6 2012 3:24am
Subject:Re: how to changing default '-' character in Datetime in MySQL?
View as plain text
To clarify, what we are discussing is the "date format". It has
nothing to do with how it is stored.  It is stored as binary data
whatever your format is.  What the date format does effect is how that
data is formatted upon conversion to a string, assuming the
date_format() method has not been specified in the query for more
fine-grained control.

There is a system variable 'date_format' which can be set in your
mysql.cnf to affect the entire system; it has been around since
version 3.23. Alternatively, it may be specified on a
session-by-session basis if you prefer.  Refer to the documentation
page below for details on manipulating system variables either
globally or on a per-session basis.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/server-system-variables.html

 - michael dykman

2012/2/5 Halász Sándor <hsv@stripped>:
> MySQL datetime field type keeps data as: YYYY-MM-DD HH:mm:SS is there a way to store
> this data as: YYYY/MM/DD HH:mm:SS or going much further (optionally) can we store as:
> MM/DD/YYYY HH:mm:SS  ?   if not then whats the best way to reformat the cell
> value from YYYY-MM-DD to MM/DD/YYY
> <<<<<<<<
> That is MySQL s string format, and that is what you get. That said, there is a
> function DATE_FORMAT (look it up) that lets one change its look. Its format argument is
> quite ugly.

 - michael dykman
 - mdykman@stripped

 May the Source be with you.
Thread
how to changing default '-' character in Datetime in MySQL?Rajeev Prasad5 Feb
  • Re: how to changing default '-' character in Datetime in MySQL?hsv5 Feb
    • Re: how to changing default '-' character in Datetime in MySQL?Michael Dykman6 Feb
      • Re: how to changing default '-' character in Datetime in MySQL?Rajeev Prasad6 Feb
        • Re: how to changing default '-' character in Datetime in MySQL?Michael Dykman6 Feb
          • Re: how to changing default '-' character in Datetime in MySQL?Peter Brawley6 Feb
            • Re: how to changing default '-' character in Datetime in MySQL?hsv6 Feb