List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Walter Heck - Date:January 20 2012 12:08pm
Subject:Re: mysql guru??
View as plain text
Relational databases are not very suitable for representing
graph-style data. You might want to look into graph databases, or the
OQGraph engine for MySQL:

good luck!

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 13:54, bruce <badouglas@stripped> wrote:
> Hi.
> Got a major pain that I'm trying to solve using mysql.
> Trying to handle a hierarchical tree structure, where I have a
> parent/child structure that grows as data is added to the system.
> The process needs to continuously determine if the overall tree, and
> all the associated nodes/leafs have "completed" so not only is the
> tree growing, but data for the given node/leaf is also changing,
> The system is comprised of a parent app which spawns descendant apps
> that in turn can spawn descendant apps, and so on..
> The system is represented in mysql as a parent/child tree, where each
> spawned app has an ID, as well as a status for the completion status
> of the app.
> I'm trying to find someone I can talk to regarding this, so I can get
> clarity on how this can be implemented.
> The process needs to be able to:
> -update the tree tbl with updated data from the running apps
> -update the tbl with new nodes/leafs as the spawned apps are created
> -quickly return 0/1 if the descendants of a node have been complete
> I've created a few different tbl defs, and played with a few different
> approaches, but haven't got this right yet. I've looked at a number of
> different articles covering hierarchical, adjacency models, closures,
> etc...
> **The nested soln isn't applicable to the project, as the data/tree
> tbl is continually growing, which would require a complete rebuilding
> of the nested tbls, which would impose a computational/time hit on the
> process.
> I can provide the sample tbl defs/data that I'm using, as well as more
> data on what I'm trying to accomplish.
> So, if you're skilled in this area, let's talk.
> Thanks
> -bruce

Walter Heck
Founder @ OlinData (
Co-founder @ Tribily (
Follow @tribily on Twitter and/or 'Like' our Facebook page at
mysql guru??bruce20 Jan
  • Re: mysql guru??Walter Heck - OlinData.com20 Jan
    • Re: mysql guru??Larry Martell20 Jan
  • Re: mysql guru??nigel wood20 Jan
  • Re: mysql guru??Peter Brawley20 Jan