List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:January 14 2012 11:46pm
Subject:Re: delete all hosts using a wildcard
View as plain text
On Jan 14, 2012, at 5:23 PM, Tim Dunphy wrote:

> hello list,
>
> I have a number of hosts that I would like to delete using a wildcard (%) symbol.
>
>  Here is the query I am using:
>
>  mysql> delete from mysql.user where user='%.summitnjhome.com';

Couple of things:

* You want to compare your pattern to the host column, not user.
* To match the pattern, use LIKE, not =.

So: WHERE host LIKE '%.summitnjhome.com'

But to see what rows your DELETE will affect, try this first:

SELECT * FROM mysql.user WHERE host LIKE '%.summitnjhome.com';

Something else to consider: What if these accounts have privileges
defined in the other grant tables, such as database-level privileges
in the db table?

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/string-comparison-functions.html#operator_like
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/grant-table-structure.html

--
Paul DuBois
Oracle Corporation / MySQL Documentation Team

Thread
delete all hosts using a wildcardTim Dunphy14 Jan
  • Re: delete all hosts using a wildcardPaul DuBois14 Jan
    • Re: delete all hosts using a wildcardTim Dunphy15 Jan
      • Re: delete all hosts using a wildcardClaudio Nanni16 Jan
Re: delete all hosts using a wildcardJan Steinman16 Jan
  • Re: delete all hosts using a wildcardGovinda16 Jan