List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Govinda Date:January 4 2012 10:09pm
Subject:Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB file
View as plain text
>> ..which I just (earlier this morning) changed to this:
>> export
> PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/mysql/bin:/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqldump:$PATH"

> You are missing a point, that the proper thing for PATH is directory (or effective
> directory), not runfile in directory. This, therefore, is more right:
>
> PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/mysql/bin:/usr/local/mysql/bin:$PATH
>
> After this, surely, you can run "mysqldump" or "mysql" or "mysqlbinlog" or ....

OK, yes, that makes sense.  Thanks.  Note though, then that '/usr/local/mysql/bin' path is
redundant; it was already there (the preceding path).

I also discovered from researching the '/etc/paths.d' dir...  where one can store files
named after commands one wants to run, whose contents is the paths to those commands.

I am now able to run "mysqldump" or "mysql" directly.
Thanks to everyone who replied!

For the archives, should any newbie actually find this thread on topic for where he/she is
stuck, please note this (another great resource for driving mysql, and everything else CL
related) -
http://superuser.com/

-Govinda
Thread
why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileGovinda29 Dec
  • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied",or else it creates a zero KB fileAndy Wallace29 Dec
  • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied",or else it creates a zero KB fileReindl Harald29 Dec
    • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileGovinda29 Dec
      • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied",or else it creates a zero KB fileReindl Harald29 Dec
        • Re: (off topic) why PATHhsv1 Jan
          • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
            • Re: (off topic) why PATHClaudio Nanni1 Jan
              • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
              • Re: (off topic) why PATHJohan De Meersman1 Jan
                • Re: (off topic) why PATHClaudio Nanni1 Jan
                  • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
                    • Re: (off topic) why PATHClaudio Nanni1 Jan
                      • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
                • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileJan Steinman31 Dec
  • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied",or else it creates a zero KB fileReindl Harald31 Dec
  • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileGovinda1 Jan
    • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileJan Steinman2 Jan
      • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileGovinda3 Jan
        • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permissiondenied", or else it creates a zero KB filehsv4 Jan
          • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileGovinda4 Jan
Re: (off topic) why PATHJan Steinman4 Jan
  • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald4 Jan