List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jan Steinman Date:January 2 2012 7:01pm
Subject:Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB file
View as plain text
On 31 Dec 11, at 20:36, Govinda wrote:
>> If you're using MacOS X Server, it should be in /usr/bin, which should be in your
> default $PATH, or else you couldn't do ANYTHING, including "ls."
>
> I have notes somewhere in my stuff about how to get $PATH to include where mysql
> actually lives, but once I realized what the issue was (in my OP this thread) then I was
> fine with just using a full path for now.  The convenience of a 'fixed' $PATH will be
> nice, sooner or later (when I get to it), but for now it is just as well that I let it
> beat into my head how the CL is actually working (working out the full paths)

You should fix the $PATH, as you'll need it for utilities (such as mysqldump) and such.

You need to edit your shell startup file. For bash, it's ".bash_profile" in your home
directory. Other shells will have their own startup script. My .bash_profile includes:

export
PATH="$HOME/bin:/Developer/Tools:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin"

Do "echo $SHELL" to see which shell you're using.

Do "printenv" to see all your global shell variables, including $SHELL and $PATH.

>> What does "locate mysqldump" tell you?
>
> Govind% locate mysqldump
>
> WARNING: The locate database (/var/db/locate.database) does not exist.
> To create the database, run the following command:
>
>  sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.locate.plist

[message repeated after running the suggested command]

What that does is tells the system launcher to index your disks in the background, so it's
no surprise that it would not immediately create a working database.

It should have finished by now, and you should now be able to run the locate command.

>> How about "echo $PATH"?
>
> Govind% echo $PATH
> /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/git/bin:/usr/X11/bin

I don't have the official binary distribution in front of me, but once you get "locate"
working, you can add the path of your MySQL binaries to the $PATH variable by appending
it (preceded by a colon) to the $PATH declaration in your shell's startup script.

----------------
Do you often think about difficulties, failure and disasters? Do you keep thinking about
the negative news you have seen on the TV or read in the newspapers? Do you see yourself
stuck and unable to improve your life or your health? Do you frequently think that you do
not deserve happiness or money, or that it is too difficult to get them? If you do, then
you will close your mind, see no opportunities, and behave and react in such ways as to
repel people and opportunities. You let the power of negative thinking rule your life. --
Ramon Sasson

why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileGovinda29 Dec
  • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied",or else it creates a zero KB fileAndy Wallace29 Dec
  • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied",or else it creates a zero KB fileReindl Harald29 Dec
    • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileGovinda29 Dec
      • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied",or else it creates a zero KB fileReindl Harald29 Dec
        • Re: (off topic) why PATHhsv1 Jan
          • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
            • Re: (off topic) why PATHClaudio Nanni1 Jan
              • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
              • Re: (off topic) why PATHJohan De Meersman1 Jan
                • Re: (off topic) why PATHClaudio Nanni1 Jan
                  • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
                    • Re: (off topic) why PATHClaudio Nanni1 Jan
                      • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
                • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileJan Steinman31 Dec
  • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied",or else it creates a zero KB fileReindl Harald31 Dec
  • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileGovinda1 Jan
    • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileJan Steinman2 Jan
      • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileGovinda3 Jan
        • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permissiondenied", or else it creates a zero KB filehsv4 Jan
          • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileGovinda4 Jan
Re: (off topic) why PATHJan Steinman4 Jan
  • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald4 Jan