List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Claudio Nanni Date:January 1 2012 3:52pm
Subject:Re: (off topic) why PATH
View as plain text
my 0,02

I think I used standard path only the first installation of MySQL in 2002,
after that I always I had my custom way of installing it which lead me
to be able to have *any* number of instances of any independent
version.
After some years I saw Giuseppe Maxia's Sandbox which is a nice
'packaging' of that idea.
I never use if possible standard directories which are a heritage of
the very first idea of unix (multiple users use same tools on a
machine),
I think today is really out of date, today you need to tune and twist
the system at your needs to get the best out of it.
With my technique for instance you can setup a mysql cluster on one
machine(for testing purposes) without the overhead of virtualization.
In my opinion the OS should be an abstraction of the hardware and the
software as independent as possible from it.
So, software and data and anything else on /whatever mounted on some
safe storage and just /etc for startup scripts,
in this way you can switch server and still retain all your software
with all the benefits you guys well know.

Claudio

--
Claudio
Thread
      • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied",or else it creates a zero KB fileReindl Harald29 Dec
        • Re: (off topic) why PATHhsv1 Jan
          • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
            • Re: (off topic) why PATHClaudio Nanni1 Jan
              • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
              • Re: (off topic) why PATHJohan De Meersman1 Jan
                • Re: (off topic) why PATHClaudio Nanni1 Jan
                  • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
                    • Re: (off topic) why PATHClaudio Nanni1 Jan
                      • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
                • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileJan Steinman31 Dec
  • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied",or else it creates a zero KB fileReindl Harald31 Dec
  • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileGovinda1 Jan
    • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileJan Steinman2 Jan
      • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileGovinda3 Jan
        • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permissiondenied", or else it creates a zero KB filehsv4 Jan
          • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileGovinda4 Jan
Re: (off topic) why PATHJan Steinman4 Jan
  • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald4 Jan