List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Reindl Harald Date:January 1 2012 3:38pm
Subject:Re: (off topic) why PATH
View as plain text

Am 01.01.2012 03:51, schrieb Hal?sz S?ndor:
> for the hadnful things on my linux-machines where such non-default
> locations are existing i usually set symlinks unter /usr/local/bin/
> to the binarys, so they are seperated and from the user point
> of view in the PATh and all wroks fine
> <<<<<<<<
> The weakness of PATH: it is all right in the original Unix case, many,
> many little programs in few directories. Quite a few programs come with
> MySQL; therefore, it pays to put the MySQL directory in PATH--but Lynx,
> and many text-processors, comes with one program and many supporting files.
> In these cases a mechanism other than PATH, something like VMS or C-shell or
> Korn-shell alias, implemented at the depth of PATH, would be much better.

and that is why you normally do "ln -s /path/to/your/binary /usr/local/bin/"
or do not use OSX as server because on a linux-system you have a package
manager which can install the mysql-sub-folder structure directly to
/usr/local/ where it is already in the path and it takes care of a
clean removal uon uninstall

the only reason for /usr/local/mysql/ is that you can remove this
folder and is needed only on Mac OSX

why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileGovinda29 Dec
  • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied",or else it creates a zero KB fileAndy Wallace29 Dec
  • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied",or else it creates a zero KB fileReindl Harald29 Dec
    • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileGovinda29 Dec
      • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied",or else it creates a zero KB fileReindl Harald29 Dec
        • Re: (off topic) why PATHhsv1 Jan
          • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
            • Re: (off topic) why PATHClaudio Nanni1 Jan
              • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
              • Re: (off topic) why PATHJohan De Meersman1 Jan
                • Re: (off topic) why PATHClaudio Nanni1 Jan
                  • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
                    • Re: (off topic) why PATHClaudio Nanni1 Jan
                      • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
                • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileJan Steinman31 Dec
  • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied",or else it creates a zero KB fileReindl Harald31 Dec
  • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileGovinda1 Jan
    • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileJan Steinman2 Jan
      • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileGovinda3 Jan
        • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permissiondenied", or else it creates a zero KB filehsv4 Jan
          • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileGovinda4 Jan
Re: (off topic) why PATHJan Steinman4 Jan
  • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald4 Jan