List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jan Steinman Date:December 31 2011 10:53pm
Subject:Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB file
View as plain text
>> So then I try (in Mac OS X Terminal, while logged in as me (not root)):
>> mysqldump -uroot -p myDBname myTableName > ~/myTestDumpedTable.sql
>> ...and again it produces:
>> sh: mysqldump: command not found..
>
> that is because Mac OSX is missing a package-managment and so you need
> a little knowledge about your OS to fix the PATH or you have to use
> full-qualified calls or configure/install your software to locations.

How did you get your copy of MySQL?

If you're using MacOS X Server, it should be in /usr/bin, which should be in your default
$PATH, or else you couldn't do ANYTHING, including "ls."

And for the record, there are at least two excellent package managers available for Mac
OS, and either MacPorts or Fink should append the proper path to their binaries to the
$PATH variable so they can be found. (Although you need to log out and log back in to
have your shell's .rc file executed.)

Or else you built from source, in which case, you should know how to fix your $PATH.

What does "locate mysqldump" tell you? How about "echo $PATH"?

----------------
A gentleman of our days is one who has money enough to do what every fool would do if he
could afford it: that is, consume without producing. -- George Bernard Shaw

why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileGovinda29 Dec
  • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied",or else it creates a zero KB fileAndy Wallace29 Dec
  • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied",or else it creates a zero KB fileReindl Harald29 Dec
    • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileGovinda29 Dec
      • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied",or else it creates a zero KB fileReindl Harald29 Dec
        • Re: (off topic) why PATHhsv1 Jan
          • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
            • Re: (off topic) why PATHClaudio Nanni1 Jan
              • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
              • Re: (off topic) why PATHJohan De Meersman1 Jan
                • Re: (off topic) why PATHClaudio Nanni1 Jan
                  • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
                    • Re: (off topic) why PATHClaudio Nanni1 Jan
                      • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
                • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileJan Steinman31 Dec
  • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied",or else it creates a zero KB fileReindl Harald31 Dec
  • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileGovinda1 Jan
    • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileJan Steinman2 Jan
      • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileGovinda3 Jan
        • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permissiondenied", or else it creates a zero KB filehsv4 Jan
          • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileGovinda4 Jan
Re: (off topic) why PATHJan Steinman4 Jan
  • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald4 Jan