List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Reindl Harald Date:December 29 2011 6:35pm
Subject:Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied",
or else it creates a zero KB file
View as plain text

Am 29.12.2011 19:21, schrieb Govinda:
> Just a side note, that:
>
> Govind% which mysqldump
> mysqldump: Command not found.
> Govind% which /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqldump
> /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqldump
>
> kind of defeats the purpose of having to know the path in advance in order
> to use the command to detect the path  ;-)

"/usr/local/mysql/bin/" is nowhere in the path

"which" can only help you if your standard-user has the
directory in his PATH and another user not

in my opinion this is a configure/compile/install-problem
/usr/local/ is intended to have the stahtdard unix-hirarchy
like /usr/loca/bin, /usr/local/share, /usr/local/lib and
normally /usr/local/bin IS in the PATH

so the problem here is that "mysql" has the unix-hirarchy inside
instead directly install into /usr/lcoal/

on the other hand doing this without a package-managment
it would be better over the long to keep it chaind all in
one directory as it is because you can uninstall it with
simply remove the folder

for the hadnful things on my linux-machines where such non-default
locations are existing i usually set symlinks unter /usr/local/bin/
to the binarys, so they are seperated and from the user point
of view in the PATh and all wroks fine

additionally a "ls -l /usr/local/bin/" shows where all the stuff
is physically installed instead haveing all details in mind
or notice them somewhere you forget also :-)

why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileGovinda29 Dec
  • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied",or else it creates a zero KB fileAndy Wallace29 Dec
  • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied",or else it creates a zero KB fileReindl Harald29 Dec
    • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileGovinda29 Dec
      • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied",or else it creates a zero KB fileReindl Harald29 Dec
        • Re: (off topic) why PATHhsv1 Jan
          • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
            • Re: (off topic) why PATHClaudio Nanni1 Jan
              • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
              • Re: (off topic) why PATHJohan De Meersman1 Jan
                • Re: (off topic) why PATHClaudio Nanni1 Jan
                  • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
                    • Re: (off topic) why PATHClaudio Nanni1 Jan
                      • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
                • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileJan Steinman31 Dec
  • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied",or else it creates a zero KB fileReindl Harald31 Dec
  • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileGovinda1 Jan
    • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileJan Steinman2 Jan
      • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileGovinda3 Jan
        • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permissiondenied", or else it creates a zero KB filehsv4 Jan
          • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileGovinda4 Jan
Re: (off topic) why PATHJan Steinman4 Jan
  • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald4 Jan