List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Govinda Date:December 29 2011 6:21pm
Subject:Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB file
View as plain text
> [snip]

> that is because Mac OSX is missing a package-managment and so you need
> a little knowledge about your OS to fix the PATH or you have to use
> full-qualified calls or configure/install your software to locations
> which are already in the path
>
> "which mysqldump" as normal user wil tell you where it is really
> [harry@srv-rhsoft:~]$ which mysqldump
> /usr/bin/mysqldump

Thank you Richard, Andy, and Reindl !

Of course you all nailed it.
Reindl, I especially appreciate you addressing each point, as it pointed me in the right
direction to fill in the understanding-holes on all those topics!  Some things I
(partially) knew, but did not remember today because I don't have to deal in these areas
much.

For right now, I just used full paths both for the command and for the output.

Just a side note, that:

Govind% which mysqldump
mysqldump: Command not found.
Govind% which /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqldump
/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqldump

kind of defeats the purpose of having to know the path in advance in order to use the
command to detect the path  ;-)

-Govinda

Thread
why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileGovinda29 Dec
  • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied",or else it creates a zero KB fileAndy Wallace29 Dec
  • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied",or else it creates a zero KB fileReindl Harald29 Dec
    • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileGovinda29 Dec
      • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied",or else it creates a zero KB fileReindl Harald29 Dec
        • Re: (off topic) why PATHhsv1 Jan
          • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
            • Re: (off topic) why PATHClaudio Nanni1 Jan
              • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
              • Re: (off topic) why PATHJohan De Meersman1 Jan
                • Re: (off topic) why PATHClaudio Nanni1 Jan
                  • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
                    • Re: (off topic) why PATHClaudio Nanni1 Jan
                      • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
                • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald1 Jan
Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileJan Steinman31 Dec
  • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied",or else it creates a zero KB fileReindl Harald31 Dec
  • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileGovinda1 Jan
    • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileJan Steinman2 Jan
      • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileGovinda3 Jan
        • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permissiondenied", or else it creates a zero KB filehsv4 Jan
          • Re: why does basic MySQLdump on db table fail with "Permission denied", or else it creates a zero KB fileGovinda4 Jan
Re: (off topic) why PATHJan Steinman4 Jan
  • Re: (off topic) why PATHReindl Harald4 Jan