List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Bruce Ferrell Date:December 29 2011 5:50pm
Subject:MySQL 5.1: Views, queries, updates and performance issues
View as plain text
Hi all,

I've got some semi-general questions on the topics in the title.  What I'm looking for is
more in the line of theory than query specifics.  I am but a poor peasant boy.

What I have is an application that makes heavy use of views.  If I understand views
correctly (and I may not), views are representations of queries themselves. The guy who
wrote
the app chose to do updates and joins against the views instead of against the underlying
tables themselves.

I've tuned to meet the gross memory requirements and  mysqltuner.pl is saying that 45% of
the joins are without indexes. With the slow query logs on and queries_without_indexes,
I'm frequently seeing updates that often take more that 2 seconds to complete... Often
MUCH longer (how does 157 seconds grab you?).

So, with that background, what would you do next and is it possible this use of views, in
this way is a significant contributor to the problem?

Bruce Ferrell
Thread
MySQL 5.1: Views, queries, updates and performance issuesBruce Ferrell29 Dec
  • Re: MySQL 5.1: Views, queries, updates and performance issuesArthur Fuller29 Dec