List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:David Sklar Date:April 22 1999 9:04pm
Subject:Re: Ballpark performance.
View as plain text
Matthias Pigulla wrote:

> David Sklar wrote:
> > This answer is as admittedly rough as your question admittedly is, but
> > dual-proc Pentium II with 512M ram should be able to handle that query mix a
> > few hundred times a second, no problem.
>
> > One of my 2xP-II w/512M db server (running linux) is currently:
>
> We're running MySQL as web site backends, with about 40 queries/second
> at peak times. The system is Linux 2.2 w. 2 x PII 400, 256MB RAM.
>
> At those peaks, the system becomes almost unusable. (I have to admit we
> have a higher percentage of updates, for we're counting page impressions
> in the database. Maybe there are also some problems with large joins
> that have to be performed in order to have count()s.)
>
> Now, I'm curious what sort of HDD subsystem you're using. We're running
> (don't hit me for that) a RAID5 UW SCSI system with 5 HDDs. How much
> performance could I gain setting up a RAID1-0 (striping over mirrors)
> array with 4 HDDs, dedicated for the mysql tree?

This machine has a BusLogic BT958 with 2 Seagate  ST34501W wide scsi drives @
20MB/sec transfer rate. No RAID. One of the disks is just for MySQL data, the
other disk for the OS and everything else.

If what's slowing you down are the large joins, it's probably a RAM problem
and not disk speed.

-dave

Thread
Ballpark performance.Brian Bray22 Apr
  • Re: Ballpark performance.Sasha Pachev22 Apr
  • Re: Ballpark performance.Daniel Koch22 Apr
RE: Ballpark performance.tcobb22 Apr
Re: Ballpark performance.(David Sklar)22 Apr
Re: Ballpark performance.Matthias Pigulla22 Apr
Re: Ballpark performance.(David Sklar)23 Apr
Re: Ballpark performance.Derick H Siddoway23 Apr