List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jim McNeely Date:December 19 2011 11:42pm
Subject:Re: UPDATE triggers with REPLACE statements
View as plain text
Not if you are using innoDB tables. For these, you use INSERT and UPDATE triggers.

Jim McNeely
On Dec 19, 2011, at 11:58 AM, Halász Sándor wrote:

> In the MySQL documentation, we find this tantalizing statement:
>
> "It is possible that in the case of a duplicate-key error, a storage engine may
> perform the REPLACE as an update rather than a delete plus insert, but the semantics are
> the same. There are no user-visible effects other than a possible difference in how the
> storage engine increments Handler_xxx status variables."
> <<<<<<<<
> Well, try it--but beware of these statements: "the semantics are the same. There are
> no user-visible effects other than a possible difference in how the storage engine
> increments Handler_xxx status variables."
>
> If accurate, the triggers are those of DELETE & INSERT, not UPDATE.

UPDATE triggers with REPLACE statementsJim McNeely17 Dec
  • Re: UPDATE triggers with REPLACE statementshsv18 Dec
  • Re: UPDATE triggers with REPLACE statementsClaudio Nanni18 Dec
    • Re: UPDATE triggers with REPLACE statementsJim McNeely19 Dec
    • Re: UPDATE triggers with REPLACE statementsJim McNeely19 Dec
      • Re: UPDATE triggers with REPLACE statementsClaudio Nanni19 Dec
        • Re: UPDATE triggers with REPLACE statementsJim McNeely19 Dec
          • Re: UPDATE triggers with REPLACE statementshsv20 Dec
      • Re: UPDATE triggers with REPLACE statementshsv19 Dec
        • Re: UPDATE triggers with REPLACE statementsJim McNeely19 Dec
          • Re: UPDATE triggers with REPLACE statementshsv23 Jan