List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Shiva Date:December 4 2011 9:18pm
Subject:Re: the best way compare String
View as plain text
Rafael,
  Without more details it is hard how you can optimize a query.
1. even though database 1TB, what about the table on which your running
this query? Do you have any index on the column? How may chars long is the
column? etc.
2. Run the explain and see what is the optimizer is telling - using key or
not, full scan or not, etc.
3. see whether you can change the like to 'ABCpatron%'.  See - "
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/mysql-indexes.html - The index also
can be used for
LIKE<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/string-comparison-functions.html#operator_like>comparisons
if the argument to
LIKE<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/string-comparison-functions.html#operator_like>is
a constant string that does not start with a wildcard character."
4. you may want to take subset of data and try both RegEx and like. Compare
them.
5. Also, see if you can make use of prefix-indexing where you only first N
characters are used.

Best,
Shiva

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Rafael Valenzuela <ravamo@stripped> wrote:

> Hi all,
> In one query,  I am comparing a string with a 'like=%patron%', but is very
> slow and expensive .What is the best way to compare a string? like or
> regular expression?
> The data base is too big table 1TB, any idea?
> thanks a lot
> --
> Mit forever
> My Blog <http://www.redcloverbi.wordpress.com>
> My Faborite Web<
> http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Electrical-Engineering-and-Computer-Science/index.htm
> >
> http://www.technologyreview.com/

Thread
the best way compare StringRafael Valenzuela4 Dec
  • Re: the best way compare StringReindl Harald4 Dec
    • Re: the best way compare StringRafael Valenzuela4 Dec
      • Re: the best way compare StringReindl Harald4 Dec
        • Re: the best way compare StringBasil Daoust5 Dec
  • Re: the best way compare StringShiva4 Dec
    • Re: the best way compare StringAndrĂ©s Tello5 Dec
      • Re: the best way compare StringRafael Valenzuela5 Dec
  • Re: the best way compare Stringhsv5 Dec