List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Karen Abgarian Date:November 30 2011 2:13am
Subject:Re: help needed restoring crashed mysql
View as plain text

Hi... and some more stuff inline.

>> Well, I would not base my database design on luck and playing.   There should be
> good awareness
>> of what the features do and what would be the plan to deal with file allocations
> should the database
>> grow, shrink or somerset
>
> if you are working many years with mysql and myisam you
> normally do not expect this - and no my work depends never
> really on luck and that is why it look in ALL datadirs of
> all software i am using and missed the table files known
> from my isam
>
> most peopole DO NOT care about this and not expect that
> allocated space will not be freed nor makes it any sense
> to have a whole database-server to dump/import because
> you get rid of big databases

I am not saying there is anything wrong with your experience.   I understand that people
having worked with
MyISAM might have a different mindset.  But they at some point did make a decision to use
InnoDB.   I think
this is the time when I would ask myself a question: where is it that my data will be
stored.

The concept is not difficult to explain.  Most people do not expect a gas tank to shrink
once the gas is
consumed...right?

>> Another piece of logic is that it is not really typical for the databases
>> to lose 50% of its volume.
>
> well, so install http://www.dbmail.org/ with replication and offsite-backups
> of the slave, get rid of your biggest mail-user and think about how useful
> it is to waste all this space as before multiple times in the backup-storages

I didn't have a pleasure to use dbmail.   I presume it does something with mail users.
Thinking logically,  if I got rid of my biggest mail user, I might eventually get another
user,
even bigger one, which would consume the same space vacated by the deceased user.
So why would I want to give up the space then?

> it did never happen to me - but i heard so many people start whining because
> the mysql-defaults and these are most pepole which do not have our knowledge
> to handle this before and in this case also not able to handle dump/import
> in a production environment

If the people do not have the knowledge to do exports/imports, the brand new and cool
file management feature will not help them either.  Essentially, the instructions how to
use
that feature are written in the same book as the instructions how to do export/imports.
If we
consider it as given that people would never read, it is a dead end.

Thread
help needed restoring crashed mysqlLuis Pugoy29 Nov
  • Re: help needed restoring crashed mysqlReindl Harald29 Nov
    • Re: help needed restoring crashed mysqlKaren Abgarian29 Nov
      • Re: help needed restoring crashed mysqlClaudio Nanni29 Nov
      • Re: help needed restoring crashed mysqlReindl Harald29 Nov
        • Re: help needed restoring crashed mysqlKaren Abgarian30 Nov
          • Re: help needed restoring crashed mysqlReindl Harald30 Nov
            • Re: help needed restoring crashed mysqlKaren Abgarian30 Nov
              • [MySQL] innodb_file_per_table / apple workers and logicReindl Harald30 Nov
                • Re: [MySQL] innodb_file_per_table / apple workers and logicJohan De Meersman30 Nov
                • Re: [MySQL] innodb_file_per_table / apple workers and logicKaren Abgarian30 Nov
                  • Re: [MySQL] innodb_file_per_table / apple workers and logicReindl Harald30 Nov
                    • Re: [MySQL] innodb_file_per_table / apple workers and logicMySQL)1 Dec
                      • Re: [MySQL] innodb_file_per_table / apple workers and logicKaren Abgarian1 Dec
              • Re: help needed restoring crashed mysqlReindl Harald30 Nov
        • Re: help needed restoring crashed mysqlhsv30 Nov