List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Reindl Harald Date:November 30 2011 12:58am
Subject:Re: help needed restoring crashed mysql
View as plain text

Am 30.11.2011 01:11, schrieb Karen Abgarian:
>> MY only luck is that i recognized this years ago after PLAYING
>> with innodb and so i started with "innodb_file_per_table=1" from
>> the begin with the first production database
>
> Well, I would not base my database design on luck and playing.   There should be good
> awareness
> of what the features do and what would be the plan to deal with file allocations
> should the database
> grow, shrink or somerset

if you are working many years with mysql and myisam you
normally do not expect this - and no my work depends never
really on luck and that is why it look in ALL datadirs of
all software i am using and missed the table files known
from my isam

most peopole DO NOT care about this and not expect that
allocated space will not be freed nor makes it any sense
to have a whole database-server to dump/import because
you get rid of big databases

> Another piece of logic is that it is not really typical for the databases
> to lose 50% of its volume.

well, so install http://www.dbmail.org/ with replication and offsite-backups
of the slave, get rid of your biggest mail-user and think about how useful
it is to waste all this space as before multiple times in the backup-storages

it did never happen to me - but i heard so many people start whining because
the mysql-defaults and these are most pepole which do not have our knowledge
to handle this before and in this case also not able to handle dump/import
in a production environment

help needed restoring crashed mysqlLuis Pugoy29 Nov
  • Re: help needed restoring crashed mysqlReindl Harald29 Nov
    • Re: help needed restoring crashed mysqlKaren Abgarian29 Nov
      • Re: help needed restoring crashed mysqlClaudio Nanni29 Nov
      • Re: help needed restoring crashed mysqlReindl Harald29 Nov
        • Re: help needed restoring crashed mysqlKaren Abgarian30 Nov
          • Re: help needed restoring crashed mysqlReindl Harald30 Nov
            • Re: help needed restoring crashed mysqlKaren Abgarian30 Nov
              • [MySQL] innodb_file_per_table / apple workers and logicReindl Harald30 Nov
                • Re: [MySQL] innodb_file_per_table / apple workers and logicJohan De Meersman30 Nov
                • Re: [MySQL] innodb_file_per_table / apple workers and logicKaren Abgarian30 Nov
                  • Re: [MySQL] innodb_file_per_table / apple workers and logicReindl Harald30 Nov
                    • Re: [MySQL] innodb_file_per_table / apple workers and logicMySQL)1 Dec
                      • Re: [MySQL] innodb_file_per_table / apple workers and logicKaren Abgarian1 Dec
              • Re: help needed restoring crashed mysqlReindl Harald30 Nov
        • Re: help needed restoring crashed mysqlhsv30 Nov