List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Reindl Harald Date:November 29 2011 10:19pm
Subject:Re: help needed restoring crashed mysql
View as plain text

Am 29.11.2011 20:25, schrieb Karen Abgarian:

> On 29.11.2011, at 5:21, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> why is this dumb "innodb_file_per_table=0" default since MOST PEOPLE
>> have only troubles with it because they can not free space with
>> "optimize table" with no real benefits?
>
> The logic behind this is probably that without innodb_file_per_table=1
> and with several large ibdata files, the space IS freed up when one does
> optimize table or drop table.  The space is freed up inside the database
> files and can be reused.

well, and if you have this day 2 TB mysql-data and a year later
get rid of 1 TB of it they allocated space can be REUSED for
innodb but never for any other application

> If we think about it, the database product should only resolve problems of
> the database space management, not of the OS space management.

the database producht with default settings is the part starting
the troubles of os-space-managment and this is idiotic, no other
words for this!

MY only luck is that i recognized this years ago after PLAYING
with innodb and so i started with "innodb_file_per_table=1" from
the begin with the first production database

> the user essentially asked InnoDB to keep allocating arbitrary amount of space
> as needed, ignoring that the OS disk is actually of the limited size.  To be
> correct about it, the user should have stated that the ibdata file should have a
> firm limit and not autoextend beyond that.

yes this case is a user-problem

but the cases where ibdata1 is growing becasue ONCE bigger
data was stored and never release the allocated space is a
design-problem

help needed restoring crashed mysqlLuis Pugoy29 Nov
  • Re: help needed restoring crashed mysqlReindl Harald29 Nov
    • Re: help needed restoring crashed mysqlKaren Abgarian29 Nov
      • Re: help needed restoring crashed mysqlClaudio Nanni29 Nov
      • Re: help needed restoring crashed mysqlReindl Harald29 Nov
        • Re: help needed restoring crashed mysqlKaren Abgarian30 Nov
          • Re: help needed restoring crashed mysqlReindl Harald30 Nov
            • Re: help needed restoring crashed mysqlKaren Abgarian30 Nov
              • [MySQL] innodb_file_per_table / apple workers and logicReindl Harald30 Nov
                • Re: [MySQL] innodb_file_per_table / apple workers and logicJohan De Meersman30 Nov
                • Re: [MySQL] innodb_file_per_table / apple workers and logicKaren Abgarian30 Nov
                  • Re: [MySQL] innodb_file_per_table / apple workers and logicReindl Harald30 Nov
                    • Re: [MySQL] innodb_file_per_table / apple workers and logicMySQL)1 Dec
                      • Re: [MySQL] innodb_file_per_table / apple workers and logicKaren Abgarian1 Dec
              • Re: help needed restoring crashed mysqlReindl Harald30 Nov
        • Re: help needed restoring crashed mysqlhsv30 Nov