List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Basil Daoust Date:November 14 2011 6:15pm
Subject:Re: Cleaning up old files
View as plain text
If you search on "mysql-bin.000001" you get a lot of good info.
o They are mysql log files it contains all the queries u can view
these files with the command mysqlbinlog just man it for more details
o These are your binary log files.. you might not want to switch them
off depending on your setup - but you can purge them (look in the
manual for PURGE MASTER LOGS)

I've heard people talk about using them for recovery.
I know they are used for replication.
You can delete/purge the old ones that you have a backup for, because
trying to recover by playing them all back is probably not a realistic
solution.

Basil

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 12:01 PM, Rob Tanner <rtanner@stripped> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In my MySQL directory, I have more than a few gig and a half sized files,
> mysql-bin.000001, mysql-bin.000001 and et cetera.  They date from today all the way
> back to early 2010.  I don't know exactly what those files are but I would like to
> delete as many as are no longer is use since I had a 40GB partition fill up over the
> weekend which resulted in bringing down our web server.  So what are those files and
> can I delete all but the most recent?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Rob Tanner
> UNIX Services Manager
> Linfield College, McMinnville Oregon

Thread
Cleaning up old filesRob Tanner14 Nov
  • Re: Cleaning up old filesReindl Harald14 Nov
  • Re: Cleaning up old filesMichael Dykman14 Nov
  • Re: Cleaning up old filesBasil Daoust14 Nov
    • Re: Cleaning up old filesAndrew Moore14 Nov
  • Re: Cleaning up old fileshsv15 Nov
Re: Cleaning up old fileshsv15 Nov